Question Windows don't go to screen edges (Windows 10)

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
This has been an annoying behavior in Windows 10 for a couple of years but I have trouble searching for an answer since I'm talking about windows in Windows, including for Edge windows that don't go to the edge of the display...

Anyway, some but not all applications exhibit the behavior that they will re-open in the same spot BUT will not at the same size. They'll instead be offset about 10px from the edges of the display and I have to re-adjust them to go back to the edges of the display. Is there a setting somewhere that will let me change this behavior?

What I want:
1676992906050.png

What I get:
1676992951088.png

Also, and this is unrelated, but why does Windows open windows at the same ratio as the display, but 75% size? I have a 34" ultrawide, and Word just opened a new document at 2580*1029.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
Sounds like you may have some custom scaling or window sizes/positions that you are not aware have been set? You are using the 'maximize window' control on the upper-right corner of every window?

Try running CCleaner with 'Window Size/Location Cache' marked for deletion under Advanced Cleaning Rules/Options.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
Sounds like you may have some custom scaling or window sizes/positions that you are not aware have been set? You are using the 'maximize window' control on the upper-right corner of every window?

Try running CCleaner with 'Window Size/Location Cache' marked for deletion under Advanced Cleaning Rules/Options.
I run at 100% scaling and am using the FancyZones PowerToy from MS to set window sizes. Before that I was using Divvy by Mizage to do the same thing (and sometimes still do). I basically never ever full screen windows, but all the same I'll give CCleaner a try.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Check your monitor / TV frequency and horizontal / vertical ratio.

Your question/problem probably belongs in Display section.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004
Check your monitor / TV frequency and horizontal / vertical ratio.

Your question/problem probably belongs in Display section.
This is a problem across 4 different computers with 4 different monitors all running Windows 10.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
I run at 100% scaling and am using the FancyZones PowerToy from MS to set window sizes. Before that I was using Divvy by Mizage to do the same thing (and sometimes still do). I basically never ever full screen windows, but all the same I'll give CCleaner a try.
I would suspect it something to do with these window size/position customizing apps you have been using, no?

By maximize window, I didn't mean go full screen. I meant the little three box Window control in the top-right corner of every Window, the middle dealio seen here with the rectangle symbol, between the underscore and X surrounded by red:

winders.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimminy

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
I would suspect it something to do with these window size/position customizing apps you have been using, no?

Logically, disabling or removing those would be my first step in diagnosing or troubleshooting. A lot of this "fluff" software is hastily designed from afterthoughts and not tested much.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
1. https://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/

write your own small utility with the following tools. combine with hotkey or event. Should have tons of tutorials on Youtube.

2. AutoHotKey https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/v2/howto/ManageWindows.htm, it comes with a Window Spy utility

3. AutoIt https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/functions/WinSetState.htm

==

4. Power Automate by MS, free download here

==
Also, and this is unrelated, but why does Windows open windows at the same ratio as the display, but 75% size?

Last edited:

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
There are some newer user assist features in Windows 10 and 11 I'm not really familiar with, that have to do with Window 'snapping' behavior beyond what Windows Vista/7 introduced. Maybe need some utility or script that will reset all these behaviors to OOB Windows default.

TheStu

Sep 15, 2004

By maximize window, I didn't mean go full screen. I meant the little three box Window control in the top-right corner of every Window, the middle dealio seen here with the rectangle symbol, between the underscore and X surrounded by red:

View attachment 77029
It happens even when using the Microsoft made FancyZones inside PowerToys. BUT! Not with all programs. Outlook always goes to the screen edge even after a reboot. Other office programs are the same. Most browsers will do the weird buffer space thing. I'll try wiping both out and just using FancyZones. MS built-in snapping features are way too limited for what I want.

We were talking about the same function. I basically never click that button or have things that aren't videos or games take up 100% of the available space.

I'm not talking about display scaling. What I am saying is that on a monitor that is 21:9 @ 3440*1440 @ 100% scaling, fresh out of the box, no 3rd party anything installed Windows will have a new window open open up dead center on the screen, at 21:9(ish) ratio @ 2580*1029.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Same thing here. Windows has never kept the window positions at exactly where I want. It's been that way for as long as I remember. With just one monitor screen real estate is premium and I want to have certain windows at the exact edge/corner of the screen, but no matter what I do when I reopen those windows (after closing them) they are always "padded" from the edges. It is infuriating.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If an application behave the same across computers/monitors, then it's designed that way. There is no way you can change that, it's just being designed by the programmer. You have to use utilities to change it after the application being launched.

If you want to maximize an application when it's launched, just change the app's Windows's shortcut to Maximize

Untitled.png

If an app can't keep it's closing location, it seems there is no solution according to some users. Don't know if it's related.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...in-place/3cd22b1c-8553-48d6-b4b6-eb6e76215189

==

See if Aquasnap helps in some situations.

==

Also check video card's control app, whether it's INTEL, NVIDIA or AMD. Maybe there is a default setting in there causing the effects you don't like.

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Well, it starts with Windows Explorer. And every Windows built-in app that I know of. It is not about the size of the window, but the position of it on the desktop.