Windows disallows file names starting with period like .htaccess, I want to allow them

prowsej

Aug 16, 2001
When I try to create a new file by right clicking, selecting new, and then selecting a file type like plain text, I'm unable to name that file with any name that starts with a period, such as '.htaccess'. This is an annoyance because files with that name are needed by Apache. How can I relax the constraints on file names?

Much obliged.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
make them under linux/unix and copy them over to your pc..

BTW if/when you do that, dont try and rename them under Windows, or it will give you that "please type a valid filename" error message...

-Spy

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
nevermind, you can do it from the dos command prompt, I just created a test doc and renamed it using "ren" in dos
ren test .test
I now have the file ".test"

Enjoy!
-Spy

prowsej

Aug 16, 2001
spyordie007, in response to your message I've updated my profile. I've actually discontinued my web site because I was never able to find a good content management program to automate updates - I've come to the conclusion that there are no good content management programs on the market.

prowsej

Aug 16, 2001
I've tried the ren command and it works. There are actually a surprising number of files on my hard drive that start with a period. I'm glad to have a workaround. There should be some way to give the user more liberty with regards to naming files from the GUI - they should include a registry switch for this.

thanks for your help in this matter.