Windows (certainly 8x), IE properties > security settings affects Windows Update

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
A customer seemingly decided to reset Windows 8.1 on their computer, so it went all the way back to Windows 8.0 RTM.

I was puzzled when initially Windows Update refused to get any updates at all, throwing an error (80072EFE) which is normally meaning that the connection was broken (e.g. unreliable Internet connection). After a bit of research (initially my thought process was along the lines of Windows Update Agent updates, servicing update, SHA2 updates), and also because there were some schannel errors in the logs and IE kept throwing certificate errors, I went to IE's advanced properties and disabled SSL 2/3 and enabled all the TLS options which fixed both IE and Windows Update.

It just surprises the hell out of me that Windows Update's operation would be at all affected by Internet Explorer settings. I wonder how this affects the roadmap to abandoning IE in Windows 10, whether they'll just leave it in there and only update when absolutely necessary.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You might be on to something here. Friend has severe issues with Windows Update not connecting.

Didn't realize that IE Internet props affected that. Will investigate that avenue farther.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Do you know how to get to IE Settings / Internet Security / Connection settings / Reset Internet Settings, on a new Chromium Edge-enabled Windows 10 installation?

How do I still open good old IE on a rig like that?

Edit: OK, I hit Winkey+S, typed "I", and Internet Explorer came right up in the list, and then I clicked it, it opened IE, displayed an ad for Chromium Edge (already have it, stupid MS), and then close those extra web windows, and then right-clicked on title bar, selected "Menu Bar", then under Tools, Internet Options, go to Advanced Tab, everything seems to be there.

I don't know if, to actually reset the settings, I have to right-click Internet Explorer, and choose "Run As Administrator...".

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Control Panel > Internet Settings is the way I've always gone. I didn't have to do anything special (e.g. explicit elevation) going through that route.

I've never seen this problem on Win10 though bear in mind.

Reactions: VirtualLarry