Question Windows automatically set up user account based on my MS email account ID

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Hi, while I was installing Windows 10 on a new PC, Windows asked me to enter my MS account email address (e.g. mymsaccount). After installation, I noticed that the installer did not ask me to enter the user name to create a user account (e.g. john). Instead, the installer automatically created a user name based on the userid of the MS email account which I do not want. How to prevent this from happening?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
https://www.zdnet.com/article/windo...-to-a-local-account-from-a-microsoft-account/

Anytime Microsoft asks you to enter your Microsoft account password, it will likely change your log in credentials to that, so make sure to Google it (or look around at the settings) to make sure this won't get changed again in the future.

You might set the record for most posts for first build. While we're here, are you sure you don't need help with a DVD drive or something as well? :p :D

Reactions: anandtechreader

anandtechreader

Apr 12, 2018
Thanks. I don't plan to add a DVD drive.

I would like to thank all forum members who have helped me. I have rebuilt the system. It is working now. The only two things that I have not sorted out are about syncing of different RGB components from different manufacturers and how to best add immersive surround sound to the system. Thank you.

Reactions: UsandThem

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Well, the absolutely easiest way to setup a local account under 10 is simply disconnecting the system from internet/network during install. (Or not logging in to a wireless network)

That'll setup a local account by default.

Second option is on the login screen itself during install. There is an option in the lower left hand corner labelled something like "use offline account".

That's all there is to it. Be careful logging into the various MS apps, you can inadvertently convert your local account to an MS account.