Windows alternatives to Macbook Pro?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
I had these exact requirements and went with the HP Envy 14 w/Radiance option. Got the computer in late August, but one of the direction keys didn't function.

Ended up returning instead of getting it repaired as I wanted to see if the world had changed in the month since I placed the order. Didn't find any better alternatives and went to re-order the Envy 14, only to find that the Radiance option was gone. The world did change...it got worse.

I really want a premium laptop experience but have no need for OS X. I'm looking to run Linux and Win7.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3889/apple-macbook-pro-13-as-windows7-laptop

Unfortunately, thats what you have to do.

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
I had these exact requirements and went with the HP Envy 14 w/Radiance option. Got the computer in late August, but one of the direction keys didn't function.

Ended up returning instead of getting it repaired as I wanted to see if the world had changed in the month since I placed the order. Didn't find any better alternatives and went to re-order the Envy 14, only to find that the Radiance option was gone. The world did change...it got worse.

I really want a premium laptop experience but have no need for OS X. I'm looking to run Linux and Win7.

If you want something that looks like the Mac, yes, it's your only option.

If you actually want a premium laptop experience instead of eye candy for those who can only think with their eyes, then there's Dell's Precision, HP's Elitebook, Lenovo's Thinkpad and Sony's flagship range.

Last edited:

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
eye candy is good. hot cars. TNA. etc. unless we're total nerds we do appreciate the finer things in life ;)

hot chick pulls up, gets out with an E92 M3, short skirt, macbook air.

you will probably pee yourself.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
nothing wrong with a macbook running linux/win 7 and having nothing to do with OSX

vbuggy

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2005
eye candy is good. hot cars. TNA. etc. unless we're total nerds we do appreciate the finer things in life ;)

I will be peed off, certainly. And probably because she's going to say 'its not working. Can I borrow yours and screw that up too?'

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Gets out of?

If a hot chick is getting out of any car, I am not really caring what she drove up in nor what gadgets she has.

That's just more stuff I will have to hide from my dogs if it smells different.

Winterpool

Mar 1, 2008
Emulex is right. Looks matter. Perhaps some engineering / raw-performance types would aver otherwise, but technology is no stranger to this criterion, especially mobile tech. (Other people see your mobile tech...) But I'm relieved that the true geek will value women for what's inside and not the superficial shell...

Somewhat paradoxically, I sometimes wish the likes of Dell would put less effort into design. It's inevitably the aesthetically-driven products from such companies that cripple the eyeballs; whereas, a plain, businesslike black (eg ThinkPad) is nothing too awful to look at.