Windows 98 help Internet, and Networking not working

MrGoodenough

Sep 26, 2004
Howdy,

I have this problem with Windows 98 Se not being able to log onto my home network, or being able to connect to the internet. I recently did a re-install of Win98, well it had Win98 on it and I installed Win98 Se overtop (because there was some important stuff I didn't want to lose).

Now, the NIC appears to be working fine in Windows Device Manager, but it will not connect to my network on my router. I have tried different networking cables, re-installing the NIC card and drivers, but still get nothing.

I can not get the Windows 98 Internet Connection Wizard to work either, it gives me an error message that states "Failed to load Internet Connection wizard helper component".

This computer was working fine before, but I uninstalled Nortons Antivirus, which the owner of this computer used, and used Pandascan instead from PandaSoftware, and it caught 9 trojans that Nortons did not.

Now, can someone help me get the networking to work, or the internet (router for cable modem).

redbeard1

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
My guess on the network issues is that the protocols are hosed from the two versions of windows. Try removing the network card, and the various protcols, and then add the card back. If it goes right the redetect process will redo things to make it work.

The internet connection wizard problem is probably related to the re-install. When you do that it takes internet explorer back to version 5.0, while the system has probably had updates ran on it taking IE to version 6 before the crash. Usually running windows update will fix it, but you can't get there until the networking gets fixed.

This program fixes winsock errors, and occasionally will fix broken networking.

Winsock fix

MrGoodenough

Sep 26, 2004
Is this program only for WinXP? This is for Win98Se... but I will try it out :D

I removed all the NIC info, and the NIC as well. So far a no go, but will see what is going on... any other ideas?

redbeard1

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2001
That program works on 98, me, and 2000 also.

Many times I've had 98 get in some sort of loop, where it would not initialize the network device and drivers right. Most of the time the fix has been some version of adding and removing the device and protocols, sometimes numerous times and in different order. I don't know where you removed it from, but I've seen removing it from the device manager work a little better than removing the card from the network properties.

If you have a different network card, you might try and install that. It should get you internet access to download updates, and may square up the setting for when you swap the original back in.