Windows 95 and DOS 6.22 Dual Boot, with no boot manager, possible, without warm boot??

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
Im doing a project for school, i have to figure out how to make a menu that will let me select DOS, or Windows 95.

The dos HAS to be dos 6.22, with all the external commands, it cannot be 7.0 or anything else..

So far what i thought of was a warm boot that will rename the config.sys and etc...

Anyone know how to do it without rebooting?

Thanks a lot,
Carl

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Triple posts are not your friend :)

System Commander, perhaps?

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
WHOOA, sorry bout that!

Nope, have to use nothing but the 3 dos disks, and the windows 95 cd! :(

Any ideas?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Aside from a virtual PC setup where one OS hosts others, you can't switch operating systems without a warm boot. An operating system controls the system. Even then [ virtual PC) ] you are not really switching, you are (like the name says) creating a virtual PC for the "child" OS that is still really under the control of the parent.

Oh, and wrong forum.

Hossenfeffer

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2000
Have it so it automatically loads into Dos, but you have a menu that lets you a) exit to dos or b) start win95?

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
Both dos and windows 95 are on different partitions, but the command.com, io.sys, msdos.sys are all on the c: drive, so its either windows95, or dos.

Have it so it automatically loads into Dos, but you have a menu that lets you a) exit to dos or b) start win95?
If im in dos 6.22 win.com wont load cuz its the wrong command.com thats loaded :(

Anyone?

WarDemon666

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2000
Both dos and windows 95 are on different partitions, but the command.com, io.sys, msdos.sys are all on the c: drive, so its either windows95, or dos.

If im in dos 6.22 win.com wont load cuz its the wrong command.com thats loaded :(

Anyone?

edit: Oh i thought of something, you know when you hit F8 on boot up, you can get it to say "Use the older version of dos" or something like that, could that get me anywhere?

Thanks,
Carl

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
It sounds unpossible to me. I don't know, maybe you can use that old proggie DESQVIEW (search google)... not sure if that counts as a boot manager to you though.

Why can't you use Dos 7.0 (from Win9x) to do what you need to? Copy the proggies and stuff from ver 6.22 that your apps may need. Use SETVER to get any picky programs to load... although that may not work for all. From a DOS Perspective 6.22 and 7 are nearly the same except for the version # and possibly a few missing files...

ebaycj

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by: WarDemon666
There is a way, there has to be. He assigned this to us for a reason.

up

I have a dos boot floppy (7.1 i think, whichever one that came with win98se) that does the menuing thing, and will allow you to select options for boot. It uses DOS's built in config.sys and autoexec.bat files to do this (no extra software necessary). Mine currently lets you choose what (if any) DOS cdrom drivers you want to load, but with a little modification, it WOULD be able to set you up a boot config that will give you a menu similar to this at boot up:

Boot menu
--------------
1. Boot into DOS
2. Boot into Windows95

Now, the only caveat is that it loads DOS first, so it would HAVE to be the same DOS that win95 runs off of (since DOS is already loaded, you must use it. windows would be an option to load afterwards). Basically choosing option #2 in the menu above would do the same stuff as option #1, except it would call 'win.com' at the end of the batch file.

However, what other ppl have said is correct: if you want DOS 6.22 and win95 dual boot, you must warm boot to switch between them, and you should probably have them on seperate partitions (hence necessitating a boot manager). You COULD use LILO (the boot manager from Linux) to do this, it wouldnt be very hard to set up (and its free).

PM me if you want me to post it / email a disk image to you.

ebaycj

Falloutboy

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2003
not sure if I know what i'm talking about but couldn't you put win95 on the same partion. then dos on the other. and like some people due with linux and put a certain floppy when you want to boot off the other patrion

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: ebaycj
Originally posted by: WarDemon666
There is a way, there has to be. He assigned this to us for a reason.

up

I have a dos boot floppy (7.1 i think, whichever one that came with win98se) that does the menuing thing, and will allow you to select options for boot. It uses DOS's built in config.sys and autoexec.bat files to do this (no extra software necessary). Mine currently lets you choose what (if any) DOS cdrom drivers you want to load, but with a little modification, it WOULD be able to set you up a boot config that will give you a menu similar to this at boot up:

Boot menu
--------------
1. Boot into DOS
2. Boot into Windows95

Now, the only caveat is that it loads DOS first, so it would HAVE to be the same DOS that win95 runs off of (since DOS is already loaded, you must use it. windows would be an option to load afterwards). Basically choosing option #2 in the menu above would do the same stuff as option #1, except it would call 'win.com' at the end of the batch file.

However, what other ppl have said is correct: if you want DOS 6.22 and win95 dual boot, you must warm boot to switch between them, and you should probably have them on seperate partitions (hence necessitating a boot manager). You COULD use LILO (the boot manager from Linux) to do this, it wouldnt be very hard to set up (and its free).

PM me if you want me to post it / email a disk image to you.

ebaycj
lilo seems like a good idea here...