Windows 8 is the new XP

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
First off XP was never bad, quite the opposite. It was MS's most successful OS and still ranks as #2.

It was very popular amongst business and many didn't even switch to Win7 until recently!!!

You guys are making it sound like XP was ME or something.

False.

Windows XP was considered a pointless disaster upon release. Until SP2, it crashed a lot more often than Windows 2000 and had some terrible bugs involving incredibly common VIA chipset drivers and Soundblaster Live cards, as well as basically zero security. People joked that XP was an acronym for "Extra Problems".

The only reason it succeeded was because most of the early adopters were converts from Windows 98SE, which was itself very unstable and flawed OS, which made XP's problems seem minor in comparison. For business users and professionals who had a taste of Windows 2000, the initial release of XP was simply a step down.

With Service Pack 1, many of these problems were addressed and XP started to get consideration as a serious OS, but a few issues remained. By Service Pack 2 the OS was basically as stable as Windows 2000 and mature drivers were available, but this wasn't until three full years after release.

Most users today only remember the post SP2 (and SP3) versions of XP, which were not bad. For it's first three years it was a pretty terrible OS though.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
False.

The only reason it succeeded was because most of the early adopters were converts from Windows 98SE, which was itself very unstable and flawed OS, which made XP's problems seem minor in comparison. For business users and professionals who had a taste of Windows 2000, the initial release of XP was simply a step down.

I think that is broadly true, though I presume when you say 98SE was "unstable and flawed" that you only mean in the sense that the entire 9x line was such? 98SE in itself was a lot better than its predecessors. But yeah, I remember using NT at work and 95-98SE at home and being very aware how ridiculously fragile and unreliable the latter O/S's were.

However NT was no good for games of course!

And that was the huge benefit of XP, surely? It was the long-overdue combining of the two lines, the reliable NT and the slightly more consumer-accessible and game-friendly 9X line. For that reason it was probably always going to be a success and have a long usable life, even if it took a while to get back to being quite as solid as NT.

I don't think that anything since has had quite such an obvious justification for its existence. The combined incremental small benefits of Vista and Win7 (larger RAM support and XP's dire 64bit support perhaps being the main issues?) maybe add up to enough of a reason to upgrade from XP to 7...but Win8 is something else again.

Win8, and its horrible smartphone interface, just annoys me in my capacity as a Grumpy Old Man. Even the word 'apps' annoys me. Its what young folk go on about when talking about their phones. I don't know why this word is so annoying to me, but there it is.

zephxiii

Sep 29, 2009
hmm i don't recall XP being a terrible OS at all in any point of its life. I never had issues with it in the early days. If there were stability problems I would think it would be driver related.

I remember using 2000 and loving it. When XP came out it was fantastic as it was an improved 2000 that was easier to get going (drivers etc.).

The 9x line absolutely terrible in comparison.

Last edited:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
hmm i don't recall XP being a terrible OS at all in any point of its life. I never had issues with it in the early days. If there were stability problems I would think it would be driver related.

I remember using 2000 and loving it. When XP came out it was fantastic as it was an improved 2000 that was easier to get going (drivers etc.).

The 9x line absolutely terrible in comparison.

WinXP was ok but had lots of security holes and patches,early days were driver issues(not OS fault however) and it took three service packs to get it to better state security wise,reason why it appeared to be successful is long span it had,remember it had six years before the next OS arrived ie Vista followed by Win7 after two more years and finally Win8 three years after Win7,personally XP should now be dead and buried,its time has long been and gone,it was an ok OS but far from the best IMHO.

When I look back to XP in the early days I can think of two things one security holes and those dreaded 4 in 1 VIA drivers that caused havoc on XP for a lot of users with VIA boards(not XP's fault as I stated).

You guys are making it sound like XP was ME or something.

No OS was like ME,but XP was far from perfect and overrated by some users,RIP XP.

Last edited:

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Most users today only remember the post SP2 (and SP3) versions of XP, which were not bad. For it's first three years it was a pretty terrible OS though.
One could make a case to say this about WIN98 (pre SE), ME, VISTA and now WIN8. But think about what is being said or compared. Almost always it is comparison of an initial OS release to its matured version. Of course once an OS is released and becomes sufficiently popular, the manufacturers will fix bugs and develop drivers. That's just the nature of the beast.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
One could make a case to say this about WIN98 (pre SE), ME, VISTA and now WIN8. But think about what is being said or compared. Almost always it is comparison of an initial OS release to its matured version. Of course once an OS is released and becomes sufficiently popular, the manufacturers will fix bugs and develop drivers. That's just the nature of the beast.

To be fair I used Win95,98,XP,Vista,Win7 and now Win8 all in the early days ie initial launch and only one I can remember giving me the most BSOD headaches and driver issues etc...was XP,infact XP still holds my BSOD record for any OS I've owned in the last 10 - 18 years,granted you could argue its was drivers and other things but does not take away the fact that XP gave me the most headaches of any OS in the early days of its launch,glad Vista,Win7 and even Win8 has given me no such headaches.

Old timers here can you remember the BSOD thread we had on XP,I remember it well and posting in it,wonder if its still around in archives?...it was a huge thread.

Last edited:

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003

Yes, that is true. And that is why the negative reviews of 8 should be taken with a grain of salt, after a service pack and some general user conversion it might end up being a perfectly fine OS.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Regarding the article: Doubtful. We're hearing our customers now saying now that Win8 is out, they will finally be upgrading their workstations from Windows XP to Windows 7, and likely running Win7 for the next 10 years.

None of our customers that haven't already upgraded to Win7 or the ones that have have any intention of ever touching Win8.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
Regarding the article: Doubtful. We're hearing our customers now saying now that Win8 is out, they will finally be upgrading their workstations from Windows XP to Windows 7, and likely running Win7 for the next 10 years.

None of our customers that haven't already upgraded to Win7 or the ones that have have any intention of ever touching Win8.

It doesn't bring anything compelling to the table. Even if you just look at the UI changes neutrally. I'm sure a portion of people prefer the UI..More power to them...but for me I just see no reason whatsoever to switch. There isn't any single or set of features makes me want to switch and I can't see that changing.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Say what you want, but all the ads flooding in from Frys Electronics and the hardware manufacturers such Fujitsu, Sony, etc. are sporting WIN 8 on their stuff (ie, new machines, notebooks, desktops and mobiles of course). Actually, it appears to be a Blitzkrieg (Shock & Awe) far more so than ever was VISTA.

Last edited:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I have been running Microsoft Os's since the DOS days. Not because I ever loved Microsoft, but because microsoft had a basic monopoly on the huge legacy base of X 86 Software. As my other comment becomes my first 8028 based computer felt every bit as fast as far modern computers feel now. As I attribute that real lack of improvement to the Microsoft commitment to ever more bloated OS's.

But still until the Microsoft introduction of windows 3.1, Apple and the Macantosh was the only OS that truly supported a graphical User interface. Even if Windows 3.1 was still DOS being run by an artificial Windows overlayer. But still compared to my old 80286 computer, it took 8X the ram and a far faster Pentium to run the bloatware. And even better, the required hard disk sizes increased even faster. But no rest for the wicked, as soon windows 95 soon came out, As finally Microsoft finally had a true GUI that was run by a Windows and not by DOS. But still windows 95 was not very stable, and IMHO, Windows 98 was not any better as Blue screens of death became common occurrences and new facts of life. But still, after a blue screen of death, I could simply reboot to safe mode, not do anything in safe mode, exit safe mode, and reboot fully cured for a while. Until the next blue screen of death occurred.

But still I then eagerly paid Microsoft another $100 for Windows XP home and a clone builder another small fortune to migrate to Windows XP. As finally, at long last I found a Microsoft OS that worked and was stable. And when my first Microsoft XP computer died of hardware failure, I could reuse the same OS and buy another computer even cheaper. And with a bigger hard drive and a faster processor. Without paying Microsoft another dime. As I had a long and happy experience with win XP, as I learned the in and outs of the win XP OS. Even if I had to learn to use third party security software to patch the holes in win XP security designs as I also keprt windows fully patched with windows updates and added XP service packs 1,2 and three. As I asked myself, why should anyone sane rush to upgrade to Vista and Window's 7 that are even more bloated. And even better yet, the price for Vista full or Win7 full doubles from a $100 in XP to $200. Nor was my mind changed when I inherited a Vista based laptop, as my reaction was and still is, oh God yeech yuck what a turd of an OS. Gone was my run menu, gone was my ability to use most features of the control panel, and it became very difficult to access hidden files or folders. I later got a chance to play with another win 7 based laptop, and found win7 somewhat better than Vista, but at a cost of finding it even worse than vista in terms of being to access OS diagnostics.

But when one of my last XP computers finally died of motherboard failure, I happened to be in big box store shopping for something else, and found a last years model computer super discounted to $248.00. With a i5 processor and a 1.5 terribyte hard drive running windows 7. Plus it comes with a coupon to upgrade to windows 8 for almost nothing. But that win 8 upgrade will be another god no yeech yuck if that win8 upgrade is metro based, but maybe an option if I am able to ditch metro. Advice needed.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Go read one of the other threads that explain what Start8, Classic Shell etc are.

You never have to use metro as a desktop user.