Windows 8: automatic and manual Chkdsk

Thomas B

Apr 25, 2013
Hello,

I have read that Windows 8 has a new Chkdsk, which checks the file-system integrity in background. I'm using Windows 8 Pro 64bit (with NTFS file-system on all drives).

Does this improved Chkdsk check the file-system just when the computer is not used, or does it check it also while the user is working?

Does it still make sense to run a manual Chkdsk on some occasions, or can I just not worry and let Chkdsk do its checks automatically? Such occasions would be for example after the computer completely hangs and I have to brutally turn it off with the power switch (happened lately with a Linux live-CD), or after problems with the electric line (loss of power/power outage, resulting in instant turning-off).
In other words, is it useful to run a manual Chkdsk when there is a suspect that something could have gone wrong with the file-system, or can I just continue working and let Chkdsk do its verifications?

What worries me, is that not doing a Chkdsk at once, to repair eventual problems, may make the problems get bigger while the hard disk (or SSD) gets used. And they could get such big that they could not get repaired anymore (just an hypothesis).

What do you think?
Thanks.

Last edited: