Windows 8.1 vs 8.1 Pro. Worth upgrading?

LaMpiR

Jul 16, 2007
After three years, I've decided to afford myself a new laptop. Went with Sony Vaio Pro 13 as the best choice. They have some amazing offers and using the education store since I am student I will get it for 1.034,54 €.

I plan on getting a MS office from my university because I would like to pay for it, no more downloaded options.

Configuration is:

Intel® CoreTM i7-4500U 1,8 GHz
Windows 8
256 GB PCIe Flash SSD
8 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3L-SDRAM
33,7 cm LED, 1920x1080

I have a 50€ option to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro from Windows 8.1 Is it worth it?

Jurge92

Aug 17, 2012
No. The Pro edition is intended for small and medium-sized businesses. I wouldn't bother.

postmark

May 17, 2011
Unfortunately if you want to run a WMC setup you need the pro to be able to use the MC add-on.

trillock

Oct 26, 2013
Luckily (or not) when I bought Win 8-64bit back in November 2012 from MS for £25 'Pro' was the only version on offer........I think.

Also at the time MS were giving away a free key for WMC, so, as it was free I got it, and yesterday used the 'add-ons' to install it and the key is valid.

I don't use WMC much......but, it's free. :biggrin:

Jan 20, 2013
Check to see if your university participates in DreamSpark Premium, you may be able to get one copy free. I got my logon through the IT lab support of my university.
Besides domain and Bitlocker crap, I needed needed a Remote Desktop host.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Here is a comparison list of 8.1 versions. The two main things you get imo are domain join and Bitlocker.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...technologies/windows-8-1/compare/default.aspx

Pro also has a Local Group Policy, which I find useful. Top feature: ability to whitelist applications using Software Restriction Policy for very strong security against exploit payloads and a huge array of malware in general. I would never settle for a Home edition just on this basis alone.

As mentioned, there's also Bitlocker. If someone breaks into my apartment and steals my PC, I don't have to worry about them getting into my data.

code65536

Golden Member
Mar 7, 2006
I prefer TrueCrypt for encryption, so I have no need for BitLocker.

But Remote Desktop and WMC are must-haves for me.

But for most people, Pro doesn't offer much.