windows 8.1 update on technet servers today

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
just installed the update via the files, no problem at all. there are 6 files in zip file with read me listing which order to install them. took me about 20 minutes to go through them.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
I too got these zipped updates. The site says existing subscribers are now extended another 90 days -that takes us to September. That's good.

Not sure what the updates did - ID was 8.1 Feature Pack for two of them. As usual, they reinstalled Homegroup, Libraries, and Desktop.ini icons on my desktop. Did my usual RegEdit + F5 routine to get rid of them.

Whatever they were seems no harm is done.

hclarkjr

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I too got these zipped updates. The site says existing subscribers are now extended another 90 days -that takes us to September. That's good.

Not sure what the updates did - ID was 8.1 Feature Pack for two of them. As usual, they reinstalled Homegroup, Libraries, and Desktop.ini icons on my desktop. Did my usual RegEdit + F5 routine to get rid of them.

Whatever they were seems no harm is done.
the only difference i have noticed is that i can now pin the store apps to the taskbar and open them from there. you can also bring taskbar up from the metro interface.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
the only difference i have noticed is that i can now pin the store apps to the taskbar and open them from there. you can also bring taskbar up from the metro interface.

I thought that M$ pinning the Store app to the taskbar was a very sneaky trick. I removed that immediately. And, I do not use the Metro interface at all. Start8 all the way. Version 1.40 was just released this week. My 8.1 is Win 7 on steroids. :)

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I thought that M$ pinning the Store app to the taskbar was a very sneaky trick. I removed that immediately. And, I do not use the Metro interface at all. Start8 all the way. Version 1.40 was just released this week. My 8.1 is Win 7 on steroids. :)

Yeah, very sneaky of them... it wasn't even asked if they should put it there.
I still miss aero, it made the windows look so much better.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Haven't had time to do much research, but after the update, I am having issues with Hyper-V Manager erroring out when connecting to VMs on my Hyper-V 2012 R2 host. Last night, I was getting prompted for a password (which I entered) and it gave me an error about no certificate authority can be found to validate my credentials. I eventually clicked cancel and it connected fine.

This morning, I was getting unable to connect errors. It finally started working, however. I pulled out my non-updated Windows 8.1 laptop and it connects fine.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I havn't noticed much of a difference. Most notably the store icon on the task bar and the power buttons on the home screen. Nothing to write home about concerning my use of Windows 8.1.

I'm more keen on getting this: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...pdate-will-finally-bring-back-the-start-menu/

Might destroy the market for 3rd party Start Menu replacements. I quite like StartisBack.

I though this was the 8.1 update to add the new start menu, being released publicly tomorrow?

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
No, their new start menu is in the works to be added but in a future update. They just announced it so it will not be in tomorrow's update.

I though this was the 8.1 update to add the new start menu, being released publicly tomorrow?

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Just got the update. I know it's a fairly small change, but having open metro apps on the taskbar makes a HUGE difference. It's still not perfect. I'd like the taskbar to still be there with metro apps and a window mode, though apparently that's coming later.

Edit: The taskbar IS there, it just autohides. Nice!

Last edited:

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Just installed it, it only took about 15 minutes so that was nice.
So far it doesn't seem super different, maybe because i have it set to all apps view on the start screen. Already looking forward to the next update haha

G73S

Mar 14, 2012
I just got done with a conversation with Microsoft trying to get help in acquiring the latest official ISO and it seems that there is no way to get it since my product key was originally purchased for Windows 8 Pro, and now I am asking for a Windows 8.1 Pro ISO, not possible :(

I just purchased a Windows 8.1 Core product key just to be able to download the latest ISO from Microsoft which I am doing as we are speaking through the Windows 8.1 Setup Box

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I just got done with a conversation with Microsoft trying to get help in acquiring the latest official ISO and it seems that there is no way to get it since my product key was originally purchased for Windows 8 Pro, and now I am asking for a Windows 8.1 Pro ISO, not possible :(

I just purchased a Windows 8.1 Core product key just to be able to download the latest ISO from Microsoft which I am doing as we are speaking through the Windows 8.1 Setup Box
It IS possible, you just have to jump through hoops to do it.
There is another thread in this forum section telling people how to do it.
You can also get the latest 8.1+update 1 ISO via various methods, then use a win 8.1 installer key, and then activate with your 8.0 key.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
It IS possible, you just have to jump through hoops to do it.
There is another thread in this forum section telling people how to do it.
You can also get the latest 8.1+update 1 ISO via various methods, then use a win 8.1 installer key, and then activate with your 8.0 key.

Yep pretty easy to find online,infact I've just downloaded a Win8.1 with Update 1 x64 ISO for future reference,only need a placebo key for installation then use your purchased Win8 key for activation.

Last edited: