Windows 8.1 Screen Flashes Black, Font Changes

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
This PC has been doing this for quite a while, finally fed up with it.

My screen will flash completely black for a second and then come back on. If I am on a page with mostly text, (like Amazon reviews) the font changes. The sound cuts out too.

It's really bad on Imgur when looking at gifs. The text doesn't change there though.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
i7 3770
16 GB RAM
Nvidia 1070
Display is a Panasonic VT60 plasma TV

Any idea where to start?

Last edited:

Smoove910

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2006
If it's connected with an HDMI cable, have you tried swapping to a different cable? Also, are you able to 'force' the Panasonic to detect the input as 'PC' rather than setting it to 'Auto'? Also try this: Press Windows-I and go into the Change PC Settings. Go to the Ease of Access tab and make sure High Contrast is turned off.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
PC to Receiver to TV. I'll have to pull out entertainment center to check cable type.

EDIT
Surprisingly it's an DVI to HDMI cable. I bet I reused a cable from the old build meaning to replace it and forgot.

I'll find an HDMI cable and try that.

Edit 2
When looking for a cable I remembered why I used the DVI to HDMI cable. When I built the PC I only had Redmere cables. They wouldn't work between the receiver and PC. I now have a standard HDMI cable in place. I previously turned off high contrast as per the suggestion. I'll give it a go.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Narrow down the issue first. Run a single cable from PC to TV and see if the problem is still occurring.

Reactions: VirtualLarry