Windows 8.1 Pro. ISO without TechNet or MSDN.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone know where we can get the Windows 8.1 Pro. ISO if we don't have TechNet or MSDN subscriptions?

CRCSUX

Dec 10, 2012
Id love one aswell, if I cant get one ill probably buy a new 8.1 dvd when they come out.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
you can, easily, via the Windows 8.1 Setup Downloader, you need one of the default installation keys though to enter when prompted not your REAL key (google it)

Download The Windows 8.1 Setup

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Tried it, no iso or anything like that.
Id assume he misunderstood the question.

What happened when you tried it? This morning i went and brought the online retail(download) version of 8.1. It didnt give me an iso but it let me download the set up installer. After i ran it it went thru its download process and eventaully let me pick how i wanted to install 8.1 which i picked iso. Then did a clean install of 8.1. Before it made the iso I believe it asked me for my windows license. I used the 8.1 license i brought but. Not sure if i was using my other windows 8 key on whether i would use that or the default keys around the web. (not talking about installation but talking about the actually making of the iso image)

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
The win 8.1 downloader to make the ISO can only accept real win 8.1 keys, and NOT 8.0 keys.

It can also accept 'default installation keys' as berryracer said, but that requires some good google-fu/bing-fu.

MS is being idiotic again.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
yes they made it very difficult for licensed owners to attain their install media

I am currently downloading the final ISO of Windows 8.1 EN-US x64 and will upload it tomorrow

I currently have the Windows 8.1 EN-UK x64 ISO that I also got using the same Windows 8.1 Box Installer but I want the US version so I am downloading that right now thanks to a member on another forum who got it using the same Setup Box of Windows 8.1 but she got the US version coz she lives in the USA and I got the UK version since I live in Dubai

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Downloading the Windows 8.1 Pro x64 GA English-US ISO now @ 1.2 MB/S
cool.gif

Thanks to a member at MDL

34hc505.png

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Better than nothing ?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
Select the "Install Windows 8" button, download and run it, use your win 8 key.
Stop the download when it begins--I stopped at 1%.
*edit, if that don't work, abort it when it says 'estimating'
Go back to that page, and this time select the "Install Windows 8.1" button & run it.
It should skip straight to "Downloading 8.1" without asking for a key, when done, you can create a 8.1 ISO, BUT, you still need a 8.1 default key to do a install... then you switch to your real win 8 key.

That key is shown here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx (remember, this is JUST for install from the ISO!)
Then, follow directions on that page and use To install a client setup key, open an administrative command prompt on the client, type slmgr /ipk <setup key> and press ENTER. with your real key once installed.

So you still have to jump through some hoops.

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Better than nothing ?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
Select the "Install Windows 8" button, download and run it, use your win 8 key.
Stop the download when it begins--I stopped at 1%.
Go back to that page, and this time select the "Install Windows 8.1" button & run it.
It should skip straight to "Downloading 8.1" without asking for a key, when done, you can create a 8.1 ISO, BUT, you still need a 8.1 default key to do a install... then you switch to your real win 8 key.

So you still have to jump through some hoops.

tried that but it didn't work for me when I enter my real key again it says failed to connect that's why Im downloading from the above trusted source

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
tried that but it didn't work for me when I enter my real key again it says failed to connect that's why Im downloading from the above trusted source

Hmm, perhaps they changed the downloads ?
It worked for me at 10am when I was told by my friend that is the way he got it...

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Lots of people are ticked off you can't download just a file to burn to a CD. I got mine from a website with 8.1 installer and it just wants me to enter Key to install. So i'm assuming it just wants to do a straight install now? Or does it prompt just to download?

Whisper2

Sep 17, 2009
Thanks Elixer,

I followed the process you posted and I now have a Win 8.1 DVD. I never would have tried the 8.0, cancel, and then 8.1 -- convoluted, but it works.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
These Windows 8.1 default keys...how legal are they exactly?

Hmm ? What do you mean, they are on technet. That is MS. How much more legal can you get ?

Remember, these are *just* for installing, you can't activate windows this way, for that you need a real key, not a default install key.

The main use for this is automation, so you can install windows on X VMs or machines... but they also have other uses as well.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
@berryracer are you going to host that somewhere if its MSFT doesn't own you?

yes I will, give meh 24 hours but you must have a valid Windows 8 key.

I entered my Windows 8 Pro key and it worked I believe the ISO should be the same for both Win 8 Core and Pro we'll see

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
yes I will, give meh 24 hours but you must have a valid Windows 8 key.

I entered my Windows 8 Pro key and it worked I believe the ISO should be the same for both Win 8 Core and Pro we'll see

I believe all the media has both images, but if you want to double check you can run this form an admin prompt

Dism /Get-ImageInfo /ImageFile:X: \sources\install.wim

where x: is the drive letter of the iso mounted and remove the space

it should list two indexes, one saying windows 8.1 and another saying windows 8.1 pro

if you want to have the option to install either, you just have to add the following file into the sources folder.

ei.cfg

with the following
Code:
[EditionID]  
[Channel] 
Retail 
[VL] 

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Just a heads up, if you buy it online with downloader, it gives you option to save as ISO or USB device. thank goodness.

Oddly though the USB option is 700megs but the ISO is 3gigs?

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
Saw that one. Unfortunately, none of those methods work because I purchased an OEM copy of Windows 8 Pro. x64 and the OEM keys don't work with those methods.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
Saw that one. Unfortunately, none of those methods work because I purchased an OEM copy of Windows 8 Pro. x64 and the OEM keys don't work with those methods.

When installing 8.1 you can't use the 8 key, you need an 8.1 specific key and then activate with the 8 key afterwards.

Pretty silly, I know.