Windows 8.1 Mouse Lag

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
I read about this, pretty embarrassing stuff.

Though I'm sure everyone enables raw input anyway.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Have had other issues with games with 8.1 preview,its the sole reason why i decided to stick to Windows 7 for the time being.Only thing making me consider a upgrade is BF4 and nothing else and honestly am not even sure if its worth it for a single game as all others are problematic.

Hoping its drivers from nvidia as the os itself is fine with classicshell installed,but who knows and articles like these don't help much with the general overall hate people have for this os.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I actually noticed a change on the windows desktop. They have changed the acceleration (when you upgrade it reset that) and it seems to be sampling over a long period and introduces noticeable lag. Its actually really horrible. Anyhow I turned acceleration off and I still had some amount of extra lag compared to before. I don't think its just games, I think it affects the desktop use as well.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
The interesting thing to me was that this most affects high-dpi mouse(s). That's a pretty big deal, because those are the folks who are likely the MOST concerned about their user experience and likely do not want any added lag at all.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004
I actually noticed a change on the windows desktop. They have changed the acceleration (when you upgrade it reset that) and it seems to be sampling over a long period and introduces noticeable lag. Its actually really horrible. Anyhow I turned acceleration off and I still had some amount of extra lag compared to before. I don't think its just games, I think it affects the desktop use as well.

This is good to know. Thanks. :)

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
I've had this but with both windows 8 and windows 8.1. It sticks a lot while trying to move the mouse.

I uninstalled my logitech setpoint drivers and software and it seemed to help a lot. Then adjusted the speed a little in windows. I haven't tested it thoroughly, may do it a little still but it's definitely massively better.

I really want those setpoints back though since I map the mouse buttons how I like for volume.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Is it gross incompetence by not testing 8.1, or is MS trying to sabotage PC gaming so people will buy an Xbox?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I haven't noticed any change and none of my mouse settings were adjusted during the update. I also never use vsync either, this was not mentioned in the short article nor was any real info. I skimmed some of the linked reddit thread and still didn't find any info on what mouse software people are using (if any), vsync on or off, whether this occurs with both AMD and Nvidia cards.

I would like more info about this. What change was made and is there any benefit to it at all?

Last edited:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I've used Windows 8 for quite a while and updated to 8.1 as soon as I could. I've not noticed any of these issues in games yet, though my time playing FPS and twitch-type games is much reduced compared to my past (damn motion sickness effects on my more mature body).

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I'm on the official release of 8.1 on my desktop. I recently bought the newly released Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut and tried it out, and I didn't feel any of the lag. It may vary depending on the mouse you're using; I'm using a very basic wired mouse. I think I may have run into the issue in another game back on the 8.1 preview, though; in the old game "Star Trek: Bridge Commander", the mouse was flickering around whenever I tried to move it, never settling on a single spot. I had assumed it was just a compatibility issue (the game's over 10 years old), but maybe it's related to this.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I'm on 8.1 preview and while I have many complaints regarding windows 8, I can't say I've noticed any mouse lag issues. I've played BF4 beta and kerbal space program so far. My mouse is a logitech mx510.