Windows 8.1 detect my second SSD as a regular HDD

widil44

Jul 20, 2013
Hi,

I've a got a problem I can't seem to solve.

I have a setup with 2 SSD and one HDD. I installed Windows 8.1 Preview on my first SSD which is rightly detected, however it detect my second SSD Samsung 840 Pro as a regular HDD instead of a SSD which is problematic in regard to the optimizer.

I've been through this forum and saw someone who had a similar problem to me and fixed it by using the winsat command in the powershell admin console.

I did it but with no effect. Maybe it's because the other user had problem with its OS ssd and not a second one.

Would any of you have an idea about what to do ?

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
I don't have a helpful answer, but you are using a Preview build. It might be a plain old bug that can't be worked around.

widil44

Jul 20, 2013
update:
I own an asus p6x58D premium motherboard with no native support for SATA 3. it instead uses a Marvell controller to allow 2 SATA3 port.

My second SSD is plugged into the Marvell controller, so I decided to try to plug it into the intel SATA2 controller, and Windows 8.1 does recognize it as a SSD.

So while it is now detected, I loose the speed of the SATA3 controller (loss of 130 Mo in read speed).

I have updated the driver of the Marvell controller but to no avail.

Anyone got something ?

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Anyone got something ?
Same thing as always: you're best off to use the Intel ports, anyway. 3Gbps v. 6Gbps gets you little to nothing, and the older Marvell chips didn't perform as well in applications as synthetics, anyway (new ones have the bandwidth to, but they're on boards w/ Intel/AMD 6Gbps ports...).