Windows 8.1 detect my second SSD as a regular HDD

Discussion in 'Memory and Storage' started by widil44, Jul 20, 2013.

1. widil44

widil44 Junior Member

Hi,

I've a got a problem I can't seem to solve.

I have a setup with 2 SSD and one HDD. I installed Windows 8.1 Preview on my first SSD which is rightly detected, however it detect my second SSD Samsung 840 Pro as a regular HDD instead of a SSD which is problematic in regard to the optimizer.

I've been through this forum and saw someone who had a similar problem to me and fixed it by using the winsat command in the powershell admin console.

I did it but with no effect. Maybe it's because the other user had problem with its OS ssd and not a second one.

Would any of you have an idea about what to do ?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Windows detect regular Forum Date
    USB Enclosure for 3.5" SATA HD, Windows Detects Enclosure But Not HD (Solved) Memory and Storage Oct 19, 2016
    Can Windows 7 automatically detect boot drives if plugged in as secondary disks? Memory and Storage Jul 2, 2016
    segate hard drive detected in bios but not in windows Memory and Storage Nov 28, 2015
    "Windows detected a hard disk problem" Memory and Storage Oct 1, 2012
    Windows Won't Detect HDD Memory and Storage Jan 27, 2012

3. jkauff

jkauff Senior member

I don't have a helpful answer, but you are using a Preview build. It might be a plain old bug that can't be worked around.

4. widil44

widil44 Junior Member

update:
    I own an asus p6x58D premium motherboard with no native support for SATA 3. it instead uses a Marvell controller to allow 2 SATA3 port.

My second SSD is plugged into the Marvell controller, so I decided to try to plug it into the intel SATA2 controller, and Windows 8.1 does recognize it as a SSD.

So while it is now detected, I loose the speed of the SATA3 controller (loss of 130 Mo in read speed).

I have updated the driver of the Marvell controller but to no avail.

Anyone got something ?

5. Cerb

Cerb Elite Member

Same thing as always: you're best off to use the Intel ports, anyway. 3Gbps v. 6Gbps gets you little to nothing, and the older Marvell chips didn't perform as well in applications as synthetics, anyway (new ones have the bandwidth to, but they're on boards w/ Intel/AMD 6Gbps ports...).