Windows 7 x64 BSOD when playing StarCraft II

Jun 8, 2008
I've started having blue screen problems on my desktop (specs can be seen in my signature, except I've removed the 3650 card) which happens when I play StarCraft II. This problem started occuring a few days ago when I turned on my computer for the first time in 4 months. It doesn't seem to happen when I play other games such as Skyrim, or Sonic Generations. StarCraft II was working fine 4 months ago before it was turned off for an elongated period of time (my computer is usually on 24/7 with a reboot every couple of weeks).

To be more specific, the crash occurs when I play StarCraft II for some period of time, which can range from 5 minutes to about 2 hours. Usually the screen will artifact in a checkerboard fashion, and sometimes I'll hear beeping sounds (from my headphones, not motherboard), and then the sound will stall and the computer will freeze.

I've run Memtest86+ and verified that my memory is still good, and also ran Prime95 to heat up my CPU and see if there are any issues with overheating. Also verified that my hard drives are in healthy condition using CrystalDiskInfo. I've installed the latest AMD drivers 11.12, and tried the 12.1 Preview drivers, and it still crashes. I've used Driver Sweeper to clean up all old driver installs for my AMD graphics drivers before reinstalling, and the BSODs seem to still be happening. I've also opened my my computer to dust out the video card, and CPU heatsink to no avail. I've even taken out and put back in the video card to see if it happened to get loose some time when the computer was turned off.

My computer seems to be fine when I'm just using it normally, such as just browsing, and watching Flash video (YouTube, Twitch.tv, etc). I've tried uninstalling my video drivers using the ATI Installer tool and running the game, and it seems to crash a lot earlier (in the main Battle.net screen instead of when I'm in the middle of the game).

I've installed BlueScreenView to figure out what kind of BSOD it is, and I've come across a few 0x124 errors, 0x119 errors (when I was testing out the 11.12 drivers I believe), and one 0x116 error today after I took out and put back in my video card on the 12.1 Preview drivers. Searching around, I'm thinking there's some hardware problem with my video card.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated. I was waiting for the 7000 series of cards to be released (something in the $200 range) before I bought an upgrade for my system, but if my video card is acting up then I might have to pick up a 6870 and deal with it.

Minidump can be found here: http://files.byondhome.com/UnknownPerson/Minidump.zip

Last edited:

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
Run furmark or MSI Kombustor and see if it crashes out. If so it's probably vid card cooling problem

If it does not crash then uninstall starcraft and re-install.

Jun 8, 2008
Run furmark or MSI Kombustor and see if it crashes out. If so it's probably vid card cooling problem

If it does not crash then uninstall starcraft and re-install.

Okay, I will try MSI Kumbustor. When my computer did crash, I was monitoring the GPU temperatures and it was nothing out of the ordinary, so I don't think it's a temperature problem. I've already tried reinstalling SC2 and it still crashed.

Jun 8, 2008
So I ran both Furmark and MSI Kumbustor, and both of them didn't seem to trigger a crash.

Today I tried clearing the StarCraft II caches folder, and I haven't received a crash yet after playing for a couple of hours on and off. Probably some corrupt data, though I'm not sure why it started happening after I stopped using my computer for a while. Either way the problem seems to have resolved itself.

Though if anyone knowledgeable can figure out what these BSODs mean, that would be appreciated, if it's stemming from some other problem.

upsdriver

Nov 8, 2011
It sounds like the issue is resolved. I was going to suggest disabling your sound card drivers and seeing if that helped.