windows 7 --> no directx 12 --> worse gaming experience?

chemicalfox

Jul 18, 2018
Hi everybody, i'm using windows 7, i have a good pc (intel i7 16gb ram...) and the only reason i've choose W7 is for the stability, reliability and because i'm worried of loosing the compatibility with some programs that i use for the work. Recently i've bought an Nvidia graphics card that have directx 12. Now... DirectX 12 is not supported by Windows 7 this thing can cause my graphics card not go to its maximum power? (SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH but i'm italian
laugh.gif
)

Another things: i've found out this "directx 12 multiadapter" which allows the integrated graphics card in the processor and the graphics card (for ex Nvidia) to work together for better performance... is this worth the changing of the operating system?

Reactions: Thebobo

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
Even in some DX11 titles, I get consistently better FPS on Windows 10 than I do on 7. I find 10 to be extremely stable.

I can't see many games utilizing the iGPU any time soon, but I would love to be wrong.

I still use both 7 and 10 daily and I far prefer 10 at this point.

I do use 7 for some old programs which 10 does break. What kind of software are you worried about not working?

chemicalfox

Jul 18, 2018
I'm an audio video technician who enjoy doing nerd stuff. honestly for work I use my MacBook Pro... but I still have a Windows pc. Until now I haven't found any disadvantages in using Windows 7... but now maybe I have to change my mind. Should I switch to windows 10? I thought it was heavier on the processor than W7.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
(SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH but i'm italian
laugh.gif
)

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

41toFt7zi6L._SY344_BO1_204_203_200_.jpg

I'm an audio video technician who enjoy doing nerd stuff. honestly for work I use my MacBook Pro... but I still have a Windows pc. Until now I haven't found any disadvantages in using Windows 7... but now maybe I have to change my mind. Should I switch to windows 10? I thought it was heavier on the processor than W7.

Now for the more serious stuff, if you have an i7, 16GB of RAM, and more importantly a SSD to install the OS on, Windows 10 will fly for you. It's more demanding than Windows 7, but only for entry level computers with dual core CPUs, less than 8GB of RAM, and finally the OS on a spinner HDD. With those components, it's not a pleasant experience for anyone who uses their PC for more than checking email and browsing the internet.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
1. Set up dual boot so you can use both win 7 and win 10 if you seriously need to run win 7 these days.

2. I would be cautious using old programs like that as companies should not be relying on outdated software like that if they can help it.

neblogai

Oct 29, 2017
There is generally little benefit to run DX12. Some games may run tiny bit better on it- but some will run worse. Also, Win10 is a stable OS, but MS is getting more and more intrusive, and UI is worse- so there are benefits, but there are also serious detriments.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
1. Set up dual boot so you can use both win 7 and win 10 if you seriously need to run win 7 these days.

2. I would be cautious using old programs like that as companies should not be relying on outdated software like that if they can help it.
Quite the opposite, companies should not update to a newer version of software at all if they can help it, if it does everything they need and has no glaring security problems. Outdated is a nonsense term.

Want to know the crazy part? We don't know what video card this is and whether it's even used for gaming.

The best answer is no, do not change the operating system unless and until you find that you need a minor performance boost in gaming, or you specifically need experience using Win10. It is a good idea to have experience using the more modern versions of windows in case you find yourself somewhere that has a PC with a newer version of windows.

Reactions: neblogai

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
You can get a 60Gb ssd for about 20€ and 120Gb for about 30€ get a SSD install windows 10 there and have both of them clean and separated,that way you don't mess with your daily bread (and vino) but you also get to play with win10.

Your GPU will run at full power even with DX11 but only if your CPU cores are fast enough to be able to drive it correctly.

There is generally little benefit to run DX12.
There is a huge benefit in running dx12 because it will use far less of your CPU,less CPU used=more CPU left over for running your ad infested web browser in the background(or for general multitasking but who does that) .