Windows 7 Momentarily Hangs/Freezes

Discussion in 'Computer Help' started by skare44, Feb 15, 2010.

1. skare44

skare44 Junior Member

I have Windows 7 x64 Pro installed on my fairly new PC, it's been running fine for months, then a day ago, it starts doing this, which is a major pain at the moment as i am in the middle of writing my final year thesis, i'll be typing away, i'll look up and half of what i've typed will be missing due to it momentarily freezing...

I've tried all the obvious things:

1. system restore to earlier point
    2. deleting the last programs i in installed
    3. msconfig > removing a few unnecessary's from start-up
    4. running > sfc /scannow (No probs detected)

So i thought, the details of the freezes would be in the event log viewer, they are in there, but what do they mean, how do i fix them, here's the XML view of the problem;

Code:
    BODY{font:x-small 'Verdana';margin-right:1.5em} .c{cursor:hand} .b{color:red;font-family:'Courier New';font-weight:bold;text-decoration:none} .e{margin-left:1em;text-indent:-1em;margin-right:1em} .k{margin-left:1em;text-indent:-1em;margin-right:1em} .t{color:#990000} .xt{color:#990099} .ns{color:red} .dt{color:green} .m{color:blue} .tx{font-weight:bold} .db{text-indent:0px;margin-left:1em;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-left:.3em;border-left:1px solid #CCCCCC;font:small Courier} .di{font:small Courier} .d{color:blue} .pi{color:blue} .cb{text-indent:0px;margin-left:1em;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-left:.3em;font:small Courier;color:#888888} .ci{font:small Courier;color:#888888} PRE{margin:0px;display:inline} [URL="http://forums.anandtech.com/#"]-[/URL] <Event xmlns="[B][url]http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event[/url][/B]">
       [URL="http://forums.anandtech.com/#"]-[/URL] <System>
         <Provider Name="[B]Service Control Manager[/B]" Guid="[B]{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}[/B]" EventSourceName="[B]Service Control Manager[/B]" /> 

<EventID  Qualifiers="[B]16384[/B]">7036</EventID> 

<Version>0</Version> 

<Level>4</Level> 

<Task>0</Task> 

<Opcode>0</Opcode> 

<Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords> 

<TimeCreated SystemTime="[B]2010-02-15T05:25:28.319200600Z[/B]" /> 

<EventRecordID>13335</EventRecordID> 

<Correlation />  

<Execution ProcessID="[B]488[/B]" ThreadID="[B]3504[/B]" />  

<Channel>System</Channel> 

<Computer>Glen-PC</Computer> 

<Security />  

</System>

[URL="http://forums.anandtech.com/#"]-[/URL] <EventData>
         <Data Name="[B]param1[/B]">Diagnostic System Host</Data>  

<Data Name="[B]param2[/B]">running</Data> 

<Binary>570064006900530079007300740065006D0048006F00730074002F0034000000</Binary>  

</EventData>

</Event>

Pretty sure its not a hardware problem, as this PC has been running fine for months, FYI its specs are;

4Gb CorsairXMS Gaming Ram
    Core 2 Duo 2.3 (E8200)
    Nvidia 8800GTX
    600W PSU

2. theevilsharpie

theevilsharpie Platinum Member

The event you listed is a standard notification when a service stops or starts. It's not related to your problem.

If your computer completely hardlocks and then recovers a few minutes later, your probably is most likely disk-related.

3. skare44

skare44 Junior Member

Ok so maybe i have listed the wrong event... But its deffo not disk related,the disk is 3 months old, it only hard locks for 2 - 3 seconds then recovers, but its doing it every 15 - 20 seconds, returns me back to desktop if i try to play games

4. notposting

notposting Diamond Member

Could be overheating. Could be loose connections, open it up and double check HD connections. Anything in the log when trying to launch a game? Check under both System and Application notifications.

5. corkyg

corkyg Elite Member<br>Super Moderator <br>Peripherals
    Super Moderator

Sometimes you find too many things going on at the same time, and you are then subjected to momentary queueing. This normally is not a problem with 64-bits and 4 GB of RAM, but it won't hurt to see what else is competing for processor and memory at those times. It could be the game software.

6. skare44

skare44 Junior Member

Problem fixed!

Been racking my brain trying to think what events have occured in the last 48 hrs, in regards to the PC, and i remembered blocking some application related to Skype ... It's called SkypePM.exe, it was asking for access to the network, but i blocked it as i rarely use Skype... So i've completely un-installed Skype and the problem has gone, no more freezes or hangs :rolleyes: