Windows 7 Icon (aliasing)

1h4x4s3x

Mar 5, 2010
I've been trying to make my own icons but I ran into aliasing issues. All my results so far have been horrible. They all suffer from jagged edges and I have no idea how to fix it.

For the sake of simplicity

• In photshop; I create a cricle with the help of the ellipse tool
  • Save it as PNG or ICO (with the icon format plugin)
If saved as PNG

• Load it in IconFX (True Color + Alpha Channel 32bits)
  • Save it as ICO
Either method makes them look like crap:
task.png

As you can see, all the other custom icons (token icon pack) look perfect except for mine.

Also, the PNG seems to be fine, but as soon as I convert it to ICO it becomes jagged. :hmm:
desk.png

Any idea?

1h4x4s3x

Mar 5, 2010
Thanks, finally figured it out. Works with either method/software. The issue was the resolution of the icon. I thought I tried it before but apparently not. 32x32 is the way to go.

I like :thumbsup:

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Thanks, finally figured it out. Works with either method/software. The issue was the resolution of the icon. I thought I tried it before but apparently not. 32x32 is the way to go.

I like :thumbsup:

Sorry, but my eyes hurt just by looking at this for a few seconds... how can you manage to have that as your desktop wallpaper? Are you blind? :p

gamefreakgcb

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2004
I've been trying to make my own icons but I ran into aliasing issues. All my results so far have been horrible. They all suffer from jagged edges and I have no idea how to fix it.

For the sake of simplicity

• In photshop; I create a cricle with the help of the ellipse tool
  • Save it as PNG or ICO (with the icon format plugin)
If saved as PNG

• Load it in IconFX (True Color + Alpha Channel 32bits)
  • Save it as ICO
Either method makes them look like crap:
task.png

As you can see, all the other custom icons (token icon pack) look perfect except for mine.

Also, the PNG seems to be fine, but as soon as I convert it to ICO it becomes jagged. :hmm:
desk.png

Any idea?

Dude can you share those icons? I like dark desktops myself.