Windows 7 'Faster Start-Up' "Question"

Status
Not open for further replies.

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com
I recently disconnected the AC plug from the AC outlet, due to a blizzard we just experienced. I've never disconnected the power before. Upon leaving the PC disconnected (without power) for several hours, then reconnecting the AC plug, the computer has now quicker start-ups, by about 50 seconds.
Can anyone provide an explanation as to this cause and effect? Any, and all replies are most welcome.

Vectronic

Jan 9, 2013
I'd go with that -^ too... if it was always hibernating before, the time it takes to load everything into memory again might have been the problem.

Likewise stuff like Prefetch maybe never had time to correctly clean/modify the cache.

Plus any sort of "Restart to finish installation" type things, Windows Update, VirusScanners, Drivers, etc.

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com
I'd go with that -^ too... if it was always hibernating before, the time it takes to load everything into memory again might have been the problem.

Likewise stuff like Prefetch maybe never had time to correctly clean/modify the cache.

Plus any sort of "Restart to finish installation" type things, Windows Update, VirusScanners, Drivers, etc.

No, the PC never went into 'hibernation', the PC was always 'shut' down properly.

Upon any "restart" 'installations' were always 'finished', and never left any work open.

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com

P.S - Never expereienced any issues regarding 'updates', or 'drivers'. Do not use any virus scanners, just "Ccleaner", which is highly effective. If 'Prefetch' did not correctly clean the cache, "Ccleaner" certainly would have. In this respect, it would be hard to comprehend this aspect, as you refer to.

JeBarr

Dec 14, 2008
Though I doubt this topic would be considered highly technical, I'll give this one recommendation:

Restart your PC and after POST, enter the BIOS.

Check the BIOS version and see if it's the same version prior to disconnect.

If you don't know what version was installed prior to disconnect then my advice won't help you.

Basically, I'm leading you to discover whether or not a CMOS recovery occured after reconnect.

It's possible that during a CMOS recovery, a specific set of defaults load which do not match your original settings, and might not even match the settings the board shipped with.

I've seen this occur with certain Gigabyte boards with their dualBIOS automated recovery system not always matching shipped defaults.

So.....If you plugged the PC back into the outlet but didn't power on the PC monitor then perhaps the recovery happened without you realizing.

Hope that helps.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011
I'm going to go with the BIOS as well, and the extra load time wasn't actually the OS, but prediagnostics from the BIOS or RAID controller being enabled and waiting for input/checking connections, etc... Question: Do you have an external USB drive?

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
BIOS battery was dead. It reset and loaded defaults when the PSU was replugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.