Windows 7 - Delete Symsilent Folder for Norton?

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com

Upon performing a recovery from a Hp Desktop, running Windows 7 sp 1 64bit, I’ve noticed a file named Symsilent. The folder is located in the Users>Public>Symantec>Symsilent. The Hp desktop came preloaded with Norton Anti-Virus software. I uninstalled this from programs. Is this a remnant of Norton Anti-Virus and can I remove or delete the folder?

I cannot notice any monitoring from the notepad which displays an error code.

1z4z82h.png

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
It's safe to nuke it, it's just a text file related to a program you uninstalled.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Are they causing you problems? Otherwise deleting three entries from a registry will have zero positive impact on your computer. I would leave well enough along.

synoptic12

Dec 1, 2012
www.youtube.com
Are they causing you problems? Otherwise deleting three entries from a registry will have zero positive impact on your computer. I would leave well enough along.

Thank you very much. You are absolutely correct. They only contain 1 KB and are there if you wish to reinstall the programs.

* You should receive points for your reply. Don't see anywhere where one can mark a reply as a correct answer.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Thank you very much. You are absolutely correct. They only contain 1 KB and are there if you wish to reinstall the programs.

* You should receive points for your reply. Don't see anywhere where one can mark a reply as a correct answer.

Thank you. I remember way back in my Windows 95 that the DOS-based OS would show a nice benefit from removing a couple hundred registry entries that had since lost their use. From Windows 98 and up, the only benefit I saw in editing the registry was for practical reasons (removal of unneeded startup entries, Malware, redirecting user folders, etc).