Windows 2003 DHCP Server not working

lasergecko

Jul 17, 2001
I've got a windows 2003 server standard machine and the DHCP server doesn't work. I removed the DHCP server role and tried to recreate it. When I'm at the last part of the Completing the New Scope wizard, I get the error message: "The DHCP server service is not running on the target computer."

I tried restarting both the DHCP Server and DHCP client service in the Services manager.

Any idea what's wrong with the DHCP Server?

Thanks in advance.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Have you Authorized the DHCP Server in the Action Menu in the DHCP screen? have you then activated the scope you created?

MulLa

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2000
Have you Authorized the DHCP Server in the Action Menu in the DHCP screen? have you then activated the scope you created?

Couldn't have said it any better myself!

lasergecko

Jul 17, 2001
The DHCP server has been authorized and there is a green arrow by the server icon in the DHCP manger.

In Event Viewer I found the following Error: IGMP could not join the multicast group 239.255.255.250 on the local interface with IP address <IP address of server adapter omitted>. The date is the error code.
The source of the error is IGMPv2.

What does that mean?

I looked at the DHCP server logs and there are only some starts, stops, and authorizing but no errors. There are some 55 codes with the Authorizing lines.

I also can not ping the machine. But I'm able to go online with it.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
Are you running RRAS on the server? Does the server have more than one NIC? If yes to either of these questions, do you need it to be configured this way?

lasergecko

Jul 17, 2001
RRAS is running and configured. The machine has two NICs but I have disable the 2nd one in hopes of getting things working.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
You are probably conflicting with a DHCP server that your ISP is running. So you would need to unbind the DHCP service from the external NIC.

lasergecko

Jul 17, 2001
The machine is connected to my home network and I have turned off the DHCP server. Thus, the NIC is connected to an Internal network.

The thing that is most confusing is the fact that the machine can't be pinged. Is there a security setting that could be causing this?