windows 2000 source code leaked?

fergiboy

Mar 10, 2000
Over at neowin they are reporting that the windows 2000 source code as well as the nt4 source code has been leaked. Very interesting. I wonder if it is true.

JavaMomma

Oct 19, 2000
Neowin has learned of shocking and potentially devastating news. It would appear that two packages are circulating on the internet, one being the source code to Windows 2000, and the other being the source code to Windows NT. At this time, it is hard to establish whether or not full code has leaked, and this will undoubtedly remain the situation until an attempt is made to compile them. Microsoft are currently unavailable for comment surrounding this leak so we have no official response from them at the time of writing.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
An interesting story. In my mind, it raises the question of which version? The original, without the 523 later patches or an up to date version. This is more important to Microsoft than it is to me.

tallest1

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Genesys
damn, i want a copy!
Microsoft would probably hunt you down if you saw a single line of code. They value that code more than GW values oil

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Not possible. One simple reason:

THe source code to all of windows does not exist in one single place. For example, messenger service would not be part of the same project as mmc. Even smaller pieces of Windows like IIS would have different subsections built by totally separate teams.

And the original source to the Microsoft TCP/IP stack (ws2_32.dll) would be at Berkeley since it is pretty much stolen from BSD.

Someone may have stolen the source to the Windows "kernel" (which oddly includes about a dozen 640x400 images as part of the binary), but the source to Windows in its entirety would not be organized into one convenient place to copy from.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: tallest1
Originally posted by: Genesys
damn, i want a copy!
Microsoft would probably hunt you down if you saw a single line of code. They value that code more than GW values oil

rofl. at the end of prosecution id have an a$$ hole the size of the deficit!

zantac

Jun 15, 2003
Originally posted by: glugglug

Someone may have stolen the source to the Windows "kernel" (which oddly includes about a dozen 640x400 images as part of the binary), but the source to Windows in its entirety would not be organized into one convenient place to copy from.

That would be one hell of a kernel since the source code is over 200MB!

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: zantac

Ahem:

Full source is 50GB (meaning its not this phony BS)

markuskidd

Sep 2, 2002
the full source may be 50gb, but source code compresses extremely well. it could easily be less than 4 or 5 gigs as a RAR file, for example. which is well within the realm of possiblity

zantac

Jun 15, 2003

Ahem:

well it may not be the full OS, but it is not phony, microsoft has confirmed this leak.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Ahem:

well it may not be the full OS, but it is not phony, microsoft has confirmed this leak.

I'm actually surprised and impressed that it took this long for a leak to occur. It is probably Microsoft's best claim to security until now.

heartsurgeon

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
get your tinfoil hats on...
do you think microsoft leaked it so they can claim that 2000, and NT are no longer "safe" to use.....
forcing people to migrate to XP?

the GREAT thing about 2000 (don't know about NT) was that it came with an installation disc, not copy protected, and was ROCK stable (heck, we HAD XP pro on an office machine, and took it off and installed 2000, we like 2000 better).

MS was planning on dropping 2000 support in the near future anyway, and they probably want NT users to "move on"...
personally, i don't think this is a big deal for microsoft, because they don't sell NT anymore, or 2000 for that matter (do they? i doubt it).and they want people to migrate to XP
what better way to encourage people to do this than to claim that 2000/NT now are open to widescale hacker attack because the source code is known...heck this copuld be a brilliant marleting strategy...My advice, buy MS stock now, because corporations will start switching over to XP en mass!!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Damn! You know what this means? The Final working version of Win2k will be delayed!!! ;)

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: heartsurgeon
get your tinfoil hats on...
do you think microsoft leaked it so they can claim that 2000, and NT are no longer "safe" to use.....
forcing people to migrate to XP?

the GREAT thing about 2000 (don't know about NT) was that it came with an installation disc, not copy protected, and was ROCK stable (heck, we HAD XP pro on an office machine, and took it off and installed 2000, we like 2000 better).

MS was planning on dropping 2000 support in the near future anyway, and they probably want NT users to "move on"...
personally, i don't think this is a big deal for microsoft, because they don't sell NT anymore, or 2000 for that matter (do they? i doubt it).and they want people to migrate to XP
what better way to encourage people to do this than to claim that 2000/NT now are open to widescale hacker attack because the source code is known...heck this copuld be a brilliant marleting strategy...My advice, buy MS stock now, because corporations will start switching over to XP en mass!!

The problem with the reality of this theory (but no problem from a marketing perspective!) is that Win2K and WinXP are not entirely separate codebases. My guesstimate would be that 95% of XP is the exact same source as 2K

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
The Empire is getting sloppy. We have now Aquired the plans to their DeathStar.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
How can the source code size be 50GB? There are only 29M lines of code so that would equal out to an average line length of 1700 characters. More likely the 50GB is with all the *.obj files and *.pdb files included.

Winrar can compress c code at a ratio of about 10:1. So if the file is 200MB, that would work out to an average line size of 69 chars/line which is entirely possible.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
How can the source code size be 50GB? There are only 29M lines of code so that would equal out to an average line length of 1700 characters. More likely the 50GB is with all the *.obj files and *.pdb files included.

Winrar can compress c code at a ratio of about 10:1. So if the file is 200MB, that would work out to an average line size of 69 chars/line which is entirely possible.

It is upwards of 50Millions lines of code the last time I heard. 50gig may also include source control, which gets quite large as each revision is stored.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
source control stores the differences between versions. Not a copy of the entire file for each version.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
source control stores the differences between versions. Not a copy of the entire file for each version.

Depends on the source control product. Eitheway in my experience source control databases tend to get large.