Windows 2000 pro hard lock up/freeze?

Superman9534

Aug 8, 2002
I've recently installed Windows 2000 pro on my 1.3ghz Duron computer (its actually my mother's home office computer) and it seems to be running ok. I've got it secure how I like it and it seemed to be running fine. However, in the past few days both times I've sat down to use it, when I logged off my mother's account to log into the admin account as soon as I click logoff (it might have been while doing somthin else last time) it would freeze. No error, nothing, the mouse would stop moving, the keyboard is unresponsive, its just totally frozen in place on the desktop. No programs are open, absolutly nothing is running.

Hardware problem I am thinking, but I'm not sure what. XP home was running fine for 6 months, but I did add another 256MB of PC2700 to go with the 256MB of PC2100 is had. Could this RAM be causing the problem? Both sticks are PNY RAM bought from Best Buy. This computer only needs about 256 so I can take it out, but I'd like to know if this is the problem first. Thanks.

mikecel79

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2002
Anytime I get a hard lock like the one you describe it's almost always a hardware issue. I would suspect the RAM first.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Superman9534
I've recently installed Windows 2000 pro on my 1.3ghz Duron computer (its actually my mother's home office computer) and it seems to be running ok. I've got it secure how I like it and it seemed to be running fine. However, in the past few days both times I've sat down to use it, when I logged off my mother's account to log into the admin account as soon as I click logoff (it might have been while doing somthin else last time) it would freeze. No error, nothing, the mouse would stop moving, the keyboard is unresponsive, its just totally frozen in place on the desktop. No programs are open, absolutly nothing is running.

Hardware problem I am thinking, but I'm not sure what. XP home was running fine for 6 months, but I did add another 256MB of PC2700 to go with the 256MB of PC2100 is had. Could this RAM be causing the problem? Both sticks are PNY RAM bought from Best Buy. This computer only needs about 256 so I can take it out, but I'd like to know if this is the problem first. Thanks.

yes the ram is the problem. You kind of answered your own question. So exchange that ram and try again. You could also run memtest or that other stress memory program something 95.. prime95.

Sianath

Sep 1, 2001
If the memory checks out fine, remove it and test. Seems like a quick repro so you should know right away. If removing the memory doesn't resolve the issue either, post here and I'll let you know how you can force a crash dump when it locks like that and we can look at it.