Windows 2000 Hard Drive Prob

MaGR

Aug 8, 2000
Right........I have two hard drives in my computer....the second one is full of mp3's and stuff....I took out the second hard drive and put it in a 98 SE machine....worked great, copied the files over....then I put it back in my machine, clicked on the drive and it asks if I want to format it!!!!
The drive is working fine, because if I boot into dos it reads it fine.....
what do I have to do to make windows 2000 read it?????????????

MaGR

Aug 8, 2000
Disk Managment Says:
E: (Layout) Partition (Type) Basic (File System) Nothing there, blank (Status) Healthy (Capacity) 9.55GB (Free Space) 9.55GB (% Free) 100 % (Fault Tolerance) no (overhead) 0%

Thats it...hope someone can help....I need to use the stuff on the drive.....

yazz

Oct 9, 1999

MaGR

you are going to have to hex edit that drive in win2k. on the win2k CD there is a resource kit. install that. then open DISKPROBE and open the first sector of the harddrive. across 1c0, if i remember right, its like the third value over. you have to change that to the correct file system type. 07 is NTFS, i think, then you write the first sector out and reboot and the drive should be back. this is over simplified, i know. ill tell you more in detail when i get my win2k book from work. just dont format the drive yet.

MaGR

Aug 8, 2000
Both my drives were running Fat 32 not NTFS.....
So I don't think diskprobe will work....I have to get my cd back off my friend and I will try it...If worst comes to worst I will have to put the drive back into a 98 computer and copy the files over a crossover cable...I just don't see why I should have too, there must be a better why........I don't want to have to do that everytime I take my hd somewhere.

Usul

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2000
Try to boot with the "haunted"HDD, in dos mode, and with fdik remove the active tag from all it's partitions.
If does not help, you can set it back booting from a dos start disk.