Question Windows 11 Motherboards

Isea

Apr 17, 2022
Hello,
new here and I'm looking for suggestions on a Win11 Motherboard. Used to only use Asus & Gigabyte but with all that is going on.....I'm thinking I need something that doesn't use or is built in Cxxxx.

I've retired from the IT world and haven't kept up with the stories of the spy chips.....

Thanks for any suggestions and stay well!

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Depends on the CPU but, I built an ADL 12700K for ~$1500 using an ASRock Steel Legend Z690 DDR4.

There have been a handful of horror stories with Asus and Gigabyte just doesn't offer as much value when it comes to features / slots.

If you're looking for a bump in tech there's another ASRock that has a native M2 that does Gen 5 w/o needing to take up a slot or adapter to be used.
But, then you venture into needing to deal with the whole DDR5 issue / price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shmee

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
That ASRock board looks pretty nice. I didn't know that there were gen5 m.2 slots out yet.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
gen5 m.2 slots
I was looking at different options before narrowing things down to DDR4 to get the most options for the dollar and stumbled across that one. Then sanity kicked in regarding DDR5 / price/performance not being worth t at this point. Now there's all sorts of weird options like DDR adapters and AIC's for gen 5 M2's. The same goes for Thunderbolt options where you can get a MOBO w/ them built in for ~$500 or geta mid range for ~$250 and pick up a AIC for ~$100 instead.

This conversion / upgrade cycle is so borked for availability. Hopefully things get ironed out quickly prior to the next release coming in a few months. Looks like inventory is building though slowly.

I'm still trying to figure out what's taking so long on the laptop side to roll out machines that were being benchmarked last fall and just now coming to market. Tech is having some issues or I'm just keeping a closer eye on things than before. Now there's going to be more turmoil with everyone making chips not only switching to hybrid but also going into the chiplet CPU's built like Lego's.

intel-arch-day-sapphire-rapids-hold-shot-994x438.jpg

14th gen will look something like this
Lt4maHUJYVRGTRJqP39uCS-970-80.png

1650236648490.png

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It was once the Japanese and bamboo cork popguns. Next thing -- the Honda 50.

ASUS has always been a reputable company. Someone above said the features aren't that great for the money.

Then, there's the "Made in Jina" myth. In some cases, they may not have come up to speed in quality control, but a company like ASUS? And guess who spun off the company that makes AsRock?

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I‘m a gamer, I just built a box with a ROG Strix B550-F Gaming, with a Ryzen 5 5600G running Win11, working great.

For what it’s worth, my last ROG board, Maximus VIII Hero, still kicking after 5 years of gaming 60 hours weekly! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I've retired from the IT world and haven't kept up with the stories of the spy chips.....

Thanks for any suggestions and stay well!

What I remember was the 2018 Bloomberg article about some Supermicro motherboards which were supposed to have issues with Chinese chips but everyone denied it (Apple, NSA, Amazon). Don't know if its credible.

kschendel

Aug 1, 2018
I'll be looking for spy chips in my fluorescent / LED light fixtures before looking for them on a motherboard. Vastly better intelligence data collection possibilities.

• Haha
Reactions: DasFox