Question Windows 11 hobbling Ryzen 7000 performance

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
It's one game engine that has shown that behavior (so far). I expect there might be more examples but we haven't seen any comprehensive test with the highest end GPU (4090). Show me a test where this is more prevalent, like showing up in ~10% of the tested games, and I will be interested. Just use project lasso and create a rule for the affected game - problem solved :)

Reactions: Tlh97 and Kaluan

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
PC Gamer has like a 48 Hour Delay in news, just use Twitter and follow the usual suspects and you will see CPU News live.

Can't do it - I only have a phone for emergency use, and it stays off and in my glove compartment unless my car leaves me stuck along the side of the road. It has limited text and minutes, and no data. Why would they delay news they post on there that much?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Haha. Funny the thing's that will trigger different people to leave a website for good. I still religiously refuse to click on any links for Toms Hardware (when you die and your life flashes before you eyes, how much of it do you want of it not to had ray tracing) and the Verge (the response of the site to THAT PC building Youtube train wreck)

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
>>>Probably to give their writers some time to somehow interject their political views into tech articles.
Blech. I read an expose where a certain news magazine reported that they were unbiased. However, when the folks who worked there were polled, it turned out that
95% OF THEM HAD DONATED TO HILLARY CLINTON'S election campaign. How in the world could the magazine claim that it was unbiased, when 95% of the employees were supporing a single party??? Doesn't seem that they had much diversity there. (apologies if Hillary is your cousin or something)

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I see from this one slide that the 7950X seems to be regressing performance with more threads in Metro Exodus. However, there are no comparisons between Windows 10 and Windows 11, (which OS is not stated) as well as comparisons with other CPUs. Also, the resolution and settings used for Metro Exodus, as well as which GPU is used, nevermind the rest of the test setup, is not listed. So this information means very little to me, more details and comparisons should be provided.

Reactions: Kaluan

Kaluan

Jan 4, 2022
I see from this one slide that the 7950X seems to be regressing performance with more threads in Metro Exodus. However, there are no comparisons between Windows 10 and Windows 11, (which OS is not stated) as well as comparisons with other CPUs. Also, the resolution and settings used for Metro Exodus, as well as which GPU is used, nevermind the rest of the test setup, is not listed. So this information means very little to me, more details and comparisons should be provided.
Yeah I feel like all tech outlets derped out on that, even ComputerBase's based deep-testing omitted W10/W11 testing.

I really wanna see Ryzen 7000 benches W10 v W11, w/ a 4090, SMT off/on, single/dual CCD switching and with a proper DDR5/FCLK sub-systen deep-dive (preferably with the latest microcode/UEFI), Igor's and a few others did some nice memory testing but those only scratched the surface.

Reactions: Lodix and Shmee

cortexa99

Jul 2, 2018
This is what I mentioned 4 months before

From what I heard, data that I collected from older AMD platform's owner without intention, it seems that Win11/fTPM issues is still hurting AMD processor's performance,
and a rumor I heard is that AMD still ‘negotiate‘ with Microsoft to solve these issues. Since Zen4's design and tapeout was already finished way earlier than Win11 and AMD knew nothing about it, it's possible there also would be issues on AM5 platform. That's why the PPT slides showed about Zen4 is unclear as hell. (Note: the footnote in PPT slides showed all benchmark were done with Win11)

Reactions: Kaluan

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
This is what I mentioned 4 months before

CPPC based Thread Migration =/= fTPM Issues.
On Linux the amd-pstate/amd-pstate-epp CPU governors were made to handle this specific scenario.

UEFI has a spec on this and it has been there for many years regarding how scheduler communicates via PCC with the CPU FW to detect the fastest cores and for setting perf requests. It is not a design issue, it is a design target. Windows has to handle it well, maybe work with AMD if they could load a specific governor/scheduler based on the CPU detected. For the moment AMD does not need to worry about core asymmetry.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
If it turned out that a certain processor company was PAYING someone at Microsoft to PURPOSEFULLY hobble a certain other competing company's performance under Windows 11... and someone actually came across the paper trail for this, what do you think they would call the resulting scandal?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Why this only ever happens with AMD CPUs?
becuase window developers write the code on intel based enterprise machines.
It may change with EYPC taking up marketing percentage.
But until then, chances are the game you will play was written on an Intel based machine running either a AMD or Nvidia video card.
AMD if its a console port, and Nvidia if its a PC only or PC Primary Title.