Windows 11.1 "concept video" (don't think that this is actual code)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Not sure if this is some artist's mock-up, although it looks pretty convincingly real, in most respects. Who knows?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Microsoft has always liked techno. Don't forget this gem from the Windows XP era:

I can handle techno OK. but it was the combination of the music and the "lyrics" that made it horrible.

It reminded me of this weirdness:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Did anyone not notice in the About Windows Screen it says this at about 4:09 mark:

"This Windows is just a concept, created by AR 4789 and is not part of Microsoft Corporation."

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Forget Windows 11, I want the magical 20GB/s SSD that lets you install Windows that quickly :)

Last time I installed W10 fron a fast (400MB/S) thumb drive onto a high end PCI-e 4.0 SSD (SN850) it took around 4 minutes from start to using the desktop. The video isn't outside the realm of possibility with some additional installation optimizations or offloading some features to install in the background after hitting the desktop.

I was immediately suspicious as soon as I saw the poor english on the selling points of W11.1. the guys that make Windows are in Redmond and as far as I can remember I've never seen poor english in Windows.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was immediately suspicious as soon as I saw the poor english on the selling points of W11.1. the guys that make Windows are in Redmond and as far as I can remember I've never seen poor english in Windows.
This. That's why I'm pretty sure that (sadly) it's just a mock-up, and not an actual build.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I recall MS saying 10 would be the very last version and it would just be a rolling release, but I do think this is kind of a bad idea, it will just get so bloated from all the updates and get quite ridiculous. Imagine 10-20 years worth of updates. Imagine having to wait for all those updates after a clean install. :eek:

At some point they need to decide to actually make a new version, maybe do it every 10 years or something. Would also be cool to see MS go back to their roots of more usable and consistent UIs, like Windows 2000 era.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I recall MS saying 10 would be the very last version and it would just be a rolling release, but I do think this is kind of a bad idea, it will just get so bloated from all the updates and get quite ridiculous. Imagine 10-20 years worth of updates. Imagine having to wait for all those updates after a clean install. :eek:
You've never used or updated Window 10? It doesn't work that way.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
You've never used or updated Window 10? It doesn't work that way.

What do you mean? Do they actually come up with new versions? I presumed it was all update based like previous versions. Ex: if I go and buy windows 10 now does it not have to patch up all the way to the current state?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Ex: if I go and buy windows 10 now does it not have to patch up all the way to the current state?
Yeah but it's not going to install every individual patch that was released! Microsoft release big updates that contain all the little patches in one (sort of). Plus if you want a new release of Windows 10 you can just download it from Microsoft and it'll be pretty much up to date.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah. Windows 7 (64-bit) came in pre-SP1, and SP1, and SP1-U (update rollup) "Base" versions, and then needed to do, what, 3-4 YEARS worth of cumulative patches ontop on a fresh installation, which could, given the speed of Windows 7's WU, take literally all day (or two!).

There were some "magic incantations", "Rollups", and "Servicing Stack updates", and "IE8 Upgrade", that you could install, before entering "patch hell" for a day or two, and possibly, with a fast enough PC and fast enough internet connection and enough RAM, do most of the updates in a few hours in one big shot. I used to know the details.

Win10 is done "differently". You've got the base "Version", for which installation media is released twice a year, with each major version upgrade.

Then after that is installed or updated, there comes a "Cumulative Update". While they can be large, and even on a Ryzen R5 3600 6C/12T 4.0GHz all-core PC with 32GB of DDR4-3600 RAM and an NVMe 1TB SSD, can still take maybe 15 minutes to install. There's the "normal" CU, and then there's the ".Net CU". And then, sometimes, "CU 'Preview'", which you might as well install, because it will come down the chute eventually anyways.

Those come down every "Patch Tuesday", which is the second Tues., of every calendar month. Twice a year, you get the "Feature Update", which is a Windows 10 'Version Upgrade'. You pray those go OK, they require several reboots, and can take 30mins to an hour at times.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh ok, so they DO have new versions then, just that they don't call them a new version? That sounds better. I figured if you buy/download it it's basically the same as when it was released then you need to install all the patches. I guess it's still worth doing a clean install once in a while and getting one of the newer versions then just to clean things up.