Question Windows 10 won't boot after cloning to an SSD drive

Jerethi

Aug 20, 2001
I recently installed an M.2 NVMe SSD drive and cloned the Windows 10 installation on my SATA drive to the SSD. Everything was working perfectly. Windows was booting up properly and was blazing fast with the new SSD.

Then, I decided I would format my SATA drive that previously had my Windows installation on it and add it to a DrivePool. I deleted all the partitions on it and created a new simple volume.

Now, Windows won't start! I get a blue screen error when Windows would normally load. What gives?

I downloaded the Windows media creation tool to a USB, booted from the USB, and tried to repair my problem. That doesn't seem to be working.

What on earth has happened here? Windows was clearly booting up from the SSD - why would deleting the partitions and formatting the SATA drive cause this? And, most importantly, can anyone offer suggestions on how to fix this, short of reinstalling Windows?

Thanks so much.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
When you cloned the drive, did you then shut down the PC, disconnect the SATA drive, and then boot solely off of the NVMe? If you left the clone source drive installed, when you first booted the clone, that's "bad juju". Don't do that. Your clone might be hosed then.

Jstanthr

Feb 22, 2010
I'm pleased to report my crisis has been averted, thanks to the troubleshooting steps outlined at this website:

Whew.

I am preparing to go through a similar endeavor. My current install is on a 4 drive raid 0 array attached to my sata ports, im wanting to clone that to a single (newer) SSD, then to the NVMe in my rebuild. I'm probably going to hose it somehow in the process. I've went ahead and dug out my key and made a install thumb drive just in case.

What was the issue with yours? i remember back on win7 when i would clone to a new drive, i would have to format it first and sys the drive before moving data to it, but im sure that process has changed.

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
If you have two disks attached when you run Windows Setup, it will split the boot files between the drives (I have no idea why). Disconnect all the drives except the boot drive before running Setup so that the boot files are all installed on the primary drive.