Question Windows 10 will not wake from sleep **Solved**

Oifish

Dec 21, 2003
All of the sudden I am unable to wake my PC from a sleep state. I have to turn off the power supply, then turn it back on for the computer to boot.

No recent changes to hardware or software. I've checked powercfg.exe and it shows it should wake from mouse, keyboard or LAN. Hibernation has been disabled.

I'm not sure where to look next. Power supply maybe? It is the oldest part of my rig. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

EDIT: here is my current rig:
OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W
ASRock Z270 KILLER
i7-7700K - @ 4.2Ghz
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB - DDR4 3200
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
WD Caviar 320GB 7200RPM SATA
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA II
Pioneer DVR-212D SATA
Windows 10 Pro x64

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, how old is that PSU? I don't recall those being sold in the last 5 years. 5 years is about the lifespan of many PSUs.

Your problem of not waking from sleep, is a symptom of a failing PSU, oftentimes, if it's not software-related. (Which is also common.)

But given the age of your PSU, I would suspect it.

What happens when the PC goes to sleep, is the contents of DRAM get preserved, using the +5VSB (Standby) power, which is always-on on an ATX PSU, while it is plugged into the wall / AC, and the power switch (if present on the back of the PSU) is switched ON. That is also the reason for unplugging the PSU, BEFORE changing out the RAM, PCI-E cards, or the CPU, because the mobo stays energized as long as the PSU is plugged in, due to this Standby power connection.

Anyways, after a time, this +5VSB line, can start to fail to produce enough, or stable enough, power.

Generally, that means it's time to replace the PSU.

I recommend an EVGA G1+/G2/G3 80Plus Gold, or a Seasonic Focus or Focus Plus 80Plus Gold PSU. Those have Japanese capacitors in them, and a fairly long (10/12 years in some cases) warranty.

Sometimes you can catch on of those on a good sale. Over BF, I picked up a pair of EVGA G1+ 80PlusGold 650W PSUs for $59.99 + tax ea., from EVGA_official on ebay. They had the 750W for the same price, but they were sold out at the time that I placed my order.

Edit: And the best part is, you should be able to carry that PSU forward to a new build in 5-6 years too. Unless they significantly revise the ATX PSU standard.

Oifish

Dec 21, 2003
I want to say my current PSU is about 10 years old. Time for an upgrade then! Thanks for the recommendations. After swapping in a new PSU, I'll report back.