Windows 10 upgrade cleanup C++ updates from Win7?

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
I'm finishing a migration to Windows 10 and a new computer using the following process

• Updated Windows 7 Pro (Retail) license on my old computer to make sure I had a valid copy of Win10
  • Built a new computer
  • Installed the old hard drive in the new computer. Started OK, but was obviously buggy.
  • Completed an update install to clean up Windows 10 but keep my existing applications intact.
As I go through the application removal screen to do additional cleanup, there are years of C++ and .Net updates from my old Win7 install. Is there a philosophy and process to clean those up with the New OS? or do I have to bite the bullet and do a clean install?

I have some hard to replace bits on my computer that I could back up, then restore, but wanted to check before taking that step.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Looking at my system which is an up-to-date Windows 10, I see VC++ files (x86, x64) going back to 2008 and ending in 2015.There are 3x 2008, 2x 2012, 2x 2013 and 2x 2015. In the section of Control Panel called "Turn Windows Features On and Off" you will find the .net files Windows 10 requires. More than these C++ and .net files are not required.
That being said, I would back up the data you mention and do a clean install to ensure the system begins as lean, mean and conflict free as possible.

marcplante

Mar 17, 2005
Great. Thanks. I figure some of these are necessary, but there have to be cumulative updates in there as well.

I'll try this to start, but see if I can find my way to a clean install.