Info Windows 10 Start Menu Gets Its Own Process in Build 1903

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...tart-menu-gets-its-own-process-in-build-1903/

Next month Microsoft will be releasing the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, also known as build 1903, and with it the Windows Start Menu will now be running under its own process called "Start". This is being done to increase performance and to make it easier to recover from hangs in the Start Menu.

In previous versions of Windows, the Start Menu was integrated into the Windows shell and did not have its own dedicated process. This led to performance issues and problems in the Start Menu when other parts of Windows would hang or freeze.

To resolve these issues, Windows 10 will now have a dedicated process devoted to the Start Menu.

Microsoft states that this not only increased performance when launching apps or with other integrated features, but also the overall Windows 10 experience.

This process is associated with an Windows app named StartMenuExperienceHost.exe, which is located in the C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost folder as shown below. It has also been assigned a URI (Uniform Resource Identifier) scheme of ms-appx://Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost/.

If the Start Menu hangs or no longer opens, you can now terminate the Start process in Task Manager and relaunch it by starting the StartMenuExperienceHost.exe app located in the the C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost folder.

This new experiences makes it much easier to fix issues in the Start Menu without affecting the rest of the Windows shell or the operating system's operation.

==

Hope Open Shell Menu (https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu ) can get updates before 1903 is relesed.

Last edited:

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Sounds great to me, it seems like it will be a lot more stable and a long time coming.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Just ran Windows updates today (I normally turn them off until they are needed) and after a good 4 hours, it finally update to Windows 10 Home 64 1803 Build 17134.860 ... But it did not update IE11 Flash to 32.0.0.207 ... So I went to the Microsoft site to manually download it KB4053308 .. I did have to restore the update disable function to normal and then it installed fine ... Who knows when or if I will do 1903 but it is good to know Classic Start will work with it.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Good to know. I thought this would break it.
Its worked for me in every update since development stopped, however, sometimes it requires you to click on a dialog box to configure itself to the latest update and away it goes. I'm never going to get rid of it as long as it continues to work.

bruceb

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
Yes, I had to do that when I did the update to V1803 .. it only added a few seconds to the whole job.