Windows 10 quesiton

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If I want to test an SSD with Windows 10 to see if it's the reason the PC now hangs when booting, by putting it in another PC, will that work, or will it error for not matching the motherboard etc. it was installed with?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Odds are it will not boot in another machine unless it has an identical chipset. Try Puffinstuff's suggestion.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Off the top of my head, you could get a rescue utility like Macrium or Mini-Tool, create the bootable CD, and then attempt to repair the boot record of the disk. If there is a utility with bootable CD which will check your disk alignment and even correct it, maybe another possibility -- I'm not sure.

If you can get the OS to boot in Safe Mode, see if you can't uninstall or disable the AV program you use.

But our colleagues' recommendations have equal or greater merit.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Off the top of my head, you could get a rescue utility like Macrium or Mini-Tool, create the bootable CD, and then attempt to repair the boot record of the disk. If there is a utility with bootable CD which will check your disk alignment and even correct it, maybe another possibility -- I'm not sure.

If you can get the OS to boot in Safe Mode, see if you can't uninstall or disable the AV program you use.

But our colleagues' recommendations have equal or greater merit.

I'll have to look at making a self-booting CD on another PC. The problem SSD doesn't get far enough to boot in safe mode. When you say disk alignment - it's an SSD.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
If it's coming out of an older computer, there is a good chance it will work, but I would say still not 100%. My experience comes from installing a drive with Windows 10 from an AMD-chipped computer that was at least 5 years old into the computer in my sig. In previous versions of Windows, this was a recipe for immediate blue screen. With 10, it booted all the way to Windows, and automatically installed the needed drivers.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If it's coming out of an older computer, there is a good chance it will work, but I would say still not 100%. My experience comes from installing a drive with Windows 10 from an AMD-chipped computer that was at least 5 years old into the computer in my sig. In previous versions of Windows, this was a recipe for immediate blue screen. With 10, it booted all the way to Windows, and automatically installed the needed drivers.

One PC is an Intel i7-4790k, the other a decade-old AMD 965 II.