Windows 10 or Windows 10 setup just wont load

seadrag0n

Dec 8, 2012
I was playing a game on my PC when suddenly windows crashed and after I restarted my PC, the windows wont boot at all, it gets stuck at "Preparing automatic repair" or at the loader screen. I tried to boot from a bootable USB having windows 10 setup but that also gets stuck at the loader. I have an install of Windows 7 on my other drive but that also hangs up at "Loading windows..." screen. Following is my full config:

R7 1700 running at stock speeds
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3
MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming X boosting up to 2GHZ when gaming under 100% load
G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3200MHz running at 2133Mhz
LG 27UD68P 4K monitor
Seasonic M12II-750 EVO M12II Series 750W PSU
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Just to mention, the game I was playing was stuttering randomly before the windows crashed but this never happened before. What could be the problem?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Try running your RAM sticks one at a time. If that doesn't work, you might want to try a BIOS reset. Also, make sure all of your fans are still working.

If still having issues, unplug all accessories from the computer and see if that makes a difference.

seadrag0n

Dec 8, 2012
Try running your RAM sticks one at a time. If that doesn't work, you might want to try a BIOS reset. Also, make sure all of your fans are still working.

If still having issues, unplug all accessories from the computer and see if that makes a difference.

this was the problem but I don't understand why at all, I removed one ram stick and windows booted up, I swapped it with the other and windows booted up again and then I added both and windows booted up again and everything is working fine now...the BIOS showed full 16GB of ram but Windows was not booting, so weird and frustrating honestly...

anyway thank you so much for your help

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Memory needed reseating perhaps? Or it's a sign of an intermittent problem? If I were you I'd leave memtest86+ running overnight on it.

Last edited:

pjmssn

Aug 17, 2017
I had a similar issue on a Dell T5500, at boot up the bios complained that 1 memory stick (not always the same one) was returning an error, I opened the case and removed all the RAM sticks (9x8GB DDR3 ECC) and remounted them several times and the issue was fixed. I guess there might be some oxidation forming and altering the quality of the electrical contact? Re-seating the sticks removed the oxidized layer (just a theory).
Glad your issue was an easy fix!

seadrag0n

Dec 8, 2012
is it possible that heat generated might be causing this? the CPU stays around 50c with 15% usage and the GPU at 72c with 100% usage when gaming and I can feel that GPU is generating a lot of heat...when I removed the RAM sticks, they were pretty warm...

Last edited: