Windows 10 on TV

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
The 1920X1080 resolution of my monitor becomes something less when I go to my TV. Not sure exactly what it goes down to but when I check to see what resolution it is, or to change it, it tells me it's 1920X1080 which clearly isn't possible.

What's interesting is that the desktop itself seems fine but web browser windows and the taskbar seem too big. The taskbar overflows, which it doesn't do on my computer screen and Firefox for example looks like it's running at something lower as well.

Any idea what could be causing this? Let me know what supplemental info you need about my TV or GPU.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
Its scaling issues. There will be scaling options in your graphics card control panel.

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I know what overscan is. This isn't an oversan issue. If you read my post, my problem has nothing at all to do with cropping. It has to do with incorrect resolution on certain elements of my display. Plus, with display options on current televisions and features like Screenfit, that article from 2010 is a bit out of date and only has to do with broadcast television which isn't what we're talking about here.

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
If I use Win10 on my tv via HDMI it sets the windows scaling to 150% and looks exactly as you are describing.
(note: this is seperate from your GPU's scaling options)

Try this.(This is how i fix it.)
1:Right click an empty part of your desktop
2:Select Display Settings
3:Under Change the size of text,apps, and other items: be sure its set at 100%

tinpanalley

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
If I use Win10 on my tv via HDMI it sets the windows scaling to 150% and looks exactly as you are describing.
(note: this is seperate from your GPU's scaling options)

Try this.(This is how i fix it.)
1:Right click an empty part of your desktop
2:Select Display Settings
3:Under Change the size of text,apps, and other items: be sure its set at 100%
Absolutely brilliant. That worked perfectly. The only thing is that the font on my desktop still somehow manages to be a bit oversized. I use 'Fences' and on my desktop monitor all the program and shortcut fonts are fine and they overflow a bit on my TV. Any ideas?

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Absolutely brilliant. That worked perfectly. The only thing is that the font on my desktop still somehow manages to be a bit oversized. I use 'Fences' and on my desktop monitor all the program and shortcut fonts are fine and they overflow a bit on my TV. Any ideas?
I don't use "Fences", so i cannot be much help giving an answer that I'm 100% SURE will work.
But you can try a custom DPI setting.
Look HERE and scroll down to OPTION TWO for instructions.

But as i said, I cannot verify it will help....sorry

EDIT: You'd probably get better ideas about this part on the Stardock Fences Forum.

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
I'll confirm that my computer hooked to a TV also changed the scaling to 150% all by itself when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, something I didn't want and I had to go and manually change scaling back to 100%.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Ran into the same issue Tinpanalley is mentioning. It is a Win10 'Metro' scaling adjustment. Changing the Settings : Customize Display : change size of apps weirdly only applies to non 'Metro' scaling apps and not all of Windows, like in Win 8. The Windows GUI will still look huge, but it is running at native 1080p resolution. I still haven't found the correct adjustment itself and I'm sure there is one buried somewhere, just not anywhere simple. In the meantime, this doesn't occur with my oldest laptop, just the newer ones. Making me think it's a WDDM 1,3 or 2.0 'feature' since that old laptop is DX11, WDDM 1.2 only.