Windows 10 Metered Connection Option is Disabled

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I'm trying to set the option for metered connection on my laptop when connected to the WiFi hotspot created by my phone, but the option is greyed out and will not let me change it. It is the same when I connect to my home wifi network. Anyone have any idea on why this would happen?

Changing my account over to an administrator account allowed me to change the setting. So, it would seem to be a problem similar to the one that MS had with windows 8.1. It is strange that they fixed it in 8.1 but not 10.
I am going to report this to Microsoft and keep my account as Administrator until they produce a fix.

Thanks for helping.

Last edited:

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Okay found some time during lunch to work on this.
I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost to try to change the default value of WiFi networks to metered, but each time I try to change the value it tells me:

Cannot edit WiFi: Error writing the value's new contents.

I am logged in on the local administrator account, and I have tried adding permissions, which failed telling me I don't have permission to add permissions.

I've search for the SSID of my network and found no keys referring to MediaCost, and for MediaCost and found no other entries at all.

So, WTF?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Changing my account over to an administrator account allowed me to change the setting. So, it would seem to be a problem similar to the one that MS had with windows 8.1. Strange that they fixed it in Win8.1 but not 10.
I am going to report this to Microsoft and keep my account as Administrator until they produce a fix.

Thanks for helping.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Changing my account over to an administrator account allowed me to change the setting. So, it would seem to be a problem similar to the one that MS had with windows 8.1. Strange that they fixed it in Win8.1 but not 10.

Thanks for helping.

You said strange but you probably should have said stupid. Very cool of you to report it! Glad you got it working.