Windows 10 May update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I just saw it being available when I ran system update, but after reading a few articles about it, I'm going to wait a bit before installing it. From what I understand, it won't automatically install until June, so I'll let others be the guinea pigs on testing it. :p

3.jpg

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I have an image from the weekend, so I'm going to give it a shot now that I am home. Downloading the installation media now, I never do it from Windows Update.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I've put it on three machines now, using WU, with no issues. :)

I am doing it through window update now. Apparently you can't update with a USB drive at the moment:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500988/windows-update-hold-for-windows-10

I am getting the "can't update" message on all three machines in the house here. Leave it to MS...wasted my time downloading two USB media drives that I doubt will work to update anything until they release a new version.

Reactions: Thor86

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Been running it since March , easily the best release of Windoze since 7

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I am doing it through window update now. Apparently you can't update with a USB drive at the moment:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500988/windows-update-hold-for-windows-10

I am getting the "can't update" message on all three machines in the house here. Leave it to MS...wasted my time downloading two USB media drives that I doubt will work to update anything until they release a new version.

Just extract/copy it to a folder on hard disk and run setup from there.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Just extract/copy it to a folder on hard disk and run setup from there.

I just let Windows update do it. I did make a DVD for future updates of other PC's. I haven't used a DVD for an install or update in years. One step forward, two steps back.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, I just discovered this earlier tonight. I downloaded the 32/64-bit and 64-bit ISOs, and made DVDs. I forgot initially, you need a DL DVD for the 32/64-bit combo version. Also made a USB stick.

Was also a bit surprised to find out, that plugging in the USB stick, and running SETUP.EXE to upgrade, wouldn't work, because the installer detected a USB drive, and flagged that as an incompatibility. (Hey MS, that's the installer source files!)

So I cleaned off a 500GB-class SSD or two, and did a fresh installation. I guess that I'll have to use a DVD to upgrade my existing Win10 1809.

Trying it now. Seems fairly snappy, but I'm on a 6C/12T Ryzen, and I'm not mining yet on this OS install.

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Got the this pc has a driver or a service that isn't ready for this version of windows 10 message. Looks like I have to wait...

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Said to heck with it, did the update (had to do via website, wasn't listed on WU).

Eh, went ok. Took awhile. Should have timed it but if I were to guess it was probably around 45min on a Ryzen 1700 with a nvme. Around 3 reboots I would guess.

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
I used Windows Update Assistant to update 3 computers, laptop, HTPC, and desktop to V1903. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Two went off without a hitch but my desktop in device manager had a Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) error for my Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 card. I tried re-installing the latest nvidia 430.64 drivers but got the same error. This driver works fine with V1809. Re-booting, disabling and enabling didn't work. Uninstalled it and the driver software, re-installed it and let Windows do an auto search for driver software. It found drivers, installed them, and it worked. The drivers though were DCH V419.67.
When I tried to install the latest 430.64 drivers I get this message. I can install 430.64 through Geforce Experience but get the Code 43 error. Same thing happens with earlier drivers.
pjnsrZInFkiGqMfm.jpg

My laptop has a Nvidia Geforce GTX MX150 chip with the 430.64 drivers and it had no problems with the 1903 update??

Did some Googling and I found this: https://www.techpowerup.com/250415/...windows-october-2018-update-and-how-to-fix-it It may be the same thing that's happening to the 1903 update. I have not tried any of the suggested fixes yet. For now I'm back to V1809 on my desktop.

This is probably the reason why I am getting the not compatible error message since I am trying to install a Standard driver over the DCH driver. I going to try updating to 1903 again and installing the DCH version of 430.64. You can find it doing a manual driver search. https://www.geforce.com/drivers# Or just wait until nvidia or Microsoft sorts this out.
From nvidia site:
WINDOWS DRIVER TYPE
"Standard" packages are those that do not require the DCH driver components.
"DCH" (Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support Apps) refers to new packages preinstalled by OEMS implementing the Microsoft Universal Driver paradigm.
DCH drivers cannot be installed over a standard system, and Standard drivers cannot be installed over a DCH system.
To confirm the type of system you have, locate Driver Type under the System Information menu in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Attachments

• pjnsrZInFkiGqMfm.jpg
    pjnsrZInFkiGqMfm.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 3

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
From nvidia site:
WINDOWS DRIVER TYPE
"Standard" packages are those that do not require the DCH driver components.
"DCH" (Declarative, Componentized, Hardware Support Apps) refers to new packages preinstalled by OEMS implementing the Microsoft Universal Driver paradigm.
DCH drivers cannot be installed over a standard system, and Standard drivers cannot be installed over a DCH system.
To confirm the type of system you have, locate Driver Type under the System Information menu in the NVIDIA Control Panel.
This is news to me.

So, you can't install DCH over Standard drivers, and you can't install Standard drivers over DCH drivers?

What controls which type of drivers that you need? The UEFI? Something in there? Or is this just for OEM branded hardware?

I mean, if I stick with DIY-type mobos and GPUs, and install my own copies of Windows, am I ever going to run into this?

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
I have never had a problem with the Standard nvidia drivers with any of the Windows 10 updates until now. It could be because my video card was just released???? I am running an ASRock Z68 Extreme4 MB with an oc'ed i5-2500K with Windows 10 Pro V1809. Yeah a bit old but still runs great.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Tried the update on one of my VM's but was met with a black screen upon reboot; had to roll everything back. Might just be a fluke but it did take awhile to update.

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Gave it one more try. This time I tried to update the DCH V419.67 nvidia drivers that Microsoft installed with the DCH V430.64 drivers downloaded from nvidia's site. They installed but still got a 43 error message in Device Manager. Next tried completely uninstalling the drivers using the Command Prompt method and doing a clean install of the Standard V430.64 drivers: https://www.techpowerup.com/250415/...windows-october-2018-update-and-how-to-fix-it They installed but got another 43 error. Giving up for now. Restored Windows back to V1809.
Also ran sfc /scannow in Command Prompt as Admin and an error check of drive C. No problems found.

Last edited:

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
This is news to me.

So, you can't install DCH over Standard drivers, and you can't install Standard drivers over DCH drivers?

What controls which type of drivers that you need? The UEFI? Something in there? Or is this just for OEM branded hardware?

I mean, if I stick with DIY-type mobos and GPUs, and install my own copies of Windows, am I ever going to run into this?

Getting a bit OT, but I found this post on of all places the Malawarebytes forum by exile360 that may answer your questions about DCH drivers. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/top...ts-about-time/?do=findComment&comment=1293195

Reactions: VirtualLarry

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Over on the nvidia forum it's been reported that there's a problem between Sandy Bridge processors, nvidia drivers, and the 1903 update, the 43 display adapter error message. Nvidia is aware of it and working on a fix. Someone there found a work around that if you disable IGPU Multi-Monitor in the bios it fixes it. This worked for me, running nvidia DCH 430.86 drivers. You loose Intel graphics but I'm only using one monitor. I could have just waited until nvidia fixed this and the update showed up in Windows Update but where's the challenge in that. 190529073831.jpg

Microsoft also has started a web page with a summary of current active issues and those issues that have been resolved in the last 30 days with the 1903 update.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...e19qa2wb600tqticg22xmbqawwideyb900#456msgdesc

Just got this in Windows Update a few minutes ago, an update to the update. My advice is wait awhile before you update to 1903 to give Microsoft a chance to work the bugs out.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4497935/windows-10-update-kb4497935

Edit 5/31: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...-in-device-manger-on-some-windows-10-may-2019 They suggest rolling back to the 399.24 drivers but if you uninstall your video card and the driver software (tick the box) in device manager, re-install it and let Windows do an auto search for driver software it will find and install the DCH 419.67 drivers which also work.
Uninstall.JPG

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ok, got 1903 showing up on WU for my main rig. *Crossing fingers and praying*... clicking "Download and install".

Edit: BTW, do AMD RX-series (Polaris) discrete GPUs need DCH drivers? Will they install automagically when 1903 installs? I don't recall seeing any explicitly-labeled DCH drivers at AMD's site for Win10 yet.

Edit: Seems to have gone OK, although there's a startup item issue, some part of Logitech SetPoint got removed, I get a .DLL loading error, or did, every time I boot after upgrading to 1903. Have to figure out how to get rid of that error dialog at boot.

One thing that I could use some pointers on, is how to configure Win10 64-bit's Startup Items.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-missing/74a41966-7eae-432c-9cdd-b31f56876b49

Last edited:

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010

One thing that I could use some pointers on, is how to configure Win10 64-bit's Startup Items.

/QUOTE]

As you know, non malware start items are listed in Task Manager
and in the Registry under key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and RunOnce.
The Task Scheduler also starts items based on the conditions selected in that app.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I just saw it being available when I ran system update, but after reading a few articles about it, I'm going to wait a bit before installing it. From what I understand, it won't automatically install until June, so I'll let others be the guinea pigs on testing it. :p

View attachment 6508

They must have had too many issues with the update, as they pulled the above update for my laptop (which showed just like the screen shot from May 21 until I looked today).

Status
Not open for further replies.