Question Windows 10 LTSC as a desktop OS?

Asphodelus

May 29, 2011
Trying to decide between Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 and Windows 10 2019 LTSC. Other than LTSC not supporting new hardware (not a problem in this case), Office 365 (I prefer Office 2016 anyway) and the Windows Store (lmao), is there anything to consider?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

The Long-Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) is designed for Windows 10 devices and use cases where the key requirement is that functionality and features don’t change over time. Examples include medical systems (such as those used for MRI and CAT scans), industrial process controllers, and air traffic control devices. These devices share characteristics of embedded systems: they are typically designed for a specific purpose and are developed, tested, and certified before use. They are treated as a whole system and are, therefore, commonly “upgraded” by building and validating a new system, turning off the old device, and replacing it with the new, certified device.

We designed the LTSC with these types of use cases in mind, offering the promise that we will support each LTSC release for 10 years--and that features, and functionality will not change over the course of that 10-year lifecycle.

==

Don't think you can get a hold of the OS & license easily.

Asphodelus

May 29, 2011
Yes Yes Yes thanks for the copypasta :rolleyes:

Everyone knows Nadella doesn't want people to be running LTSC on desktops and laptops since it doesn't fit with his Windows-as-a-service strategy, but since most of us don't work for Microsoft and couldn't care less about what Nadella thinks of how we use Windows, is there any technical reason not to do it?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Technical reason not to do it? Probably not.

You can download and try yourself for 90 days anyway see if it works.

I did not try it myself though.

==

Well, there is a Windows 10 LTSC review that I haven't watch yet.

==

OK, just watched the video.

So, Windows 10 LTSC actually has less features (no MS Store crap), less updates, yet cost more.

You get stability though, since it probably only update every two years.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
Trying to decide between Windows 10 Enterprise 1909 and Windows 10 2019 LTSC. Other than LTSC not supporting new hardware (not a problem in this case), Office 365 (I prefer Office 2016 anyway) and the Windows Store (lmao), is there anything to consider?

For what it's worth I've been using it on my home desktop for about a year. It's worked fine for me with Office pro plus 2016 and it was installed on what was a brand new system at the time. I use it for everything from gaming to spreadsheets. :)

btw, if you want the Microsoft Store it can be added to the LTSC version very easily.

Reactions: Asphodelus

Asphodelus

May 29, 2011
For what it's worth I've been using it on my home desktop for about a year. It's worked fine for me with Office pro plus 2016 and it was installed on what was a brand new system at the time. I use it for everything from gaming to spreadsheets. :)

btw, if you want the Microsoft Store it can be added to the LTSC version very easily.
Thanks for the info. Were there any unexpected surprises, or was it exactly what you had hoped for?

Nov 25, 2013
Thanks for the info. Were there any unexpected surprises, or was it exactly what you had hoped for?

No big surprises that I remember. It took me a couple of re-installs to figure out how I wanted to install Windows 10 as I was moving from Windows 7 and didn't know Windows 10 at all. But, once I got that figured out It's been pretty smooth. The operating system itelf has it's quirks, some of which I just don't understand how/why they exist, but they've proved easy enough to get used to for the most part and I'd see them in any version.

As to what I hoped for, I wanted this version as it gives me the most control over my system than any other version. No new and buggy feature installs to worry about, no silly windows apps preinstalled or continually reinstalling, fewer privacy issues and just generally a smooth experience.

As far as I can tell any issues I've had were Win 10 issues and not version specific.

I was looking to build a stable machine that would do everything from my gaming to my more serious stuff and I wanted as close to the same control of my system as I had with previous versions of Windows. None of this 'windows as a service' silliness with major updates multiple times a year. The LTSC version meets my requirements so I'm happy. :)

Reactions: Asphodelus

Asphodelus

May 29, 2011
No big surprises that I remember. It took me a couple of re-installs to figure out how I wanted to install Windows 10 as I was moving from Windows 7 and didn't know Windows 10 at all. But, once I got that figured out It's been pretty smooth. The operating system itelf has it's quirks, some of which I just don't understand how/why they exist, but they've proved easy enough to get used to for the most part and I'd see them in any version.

As to what I hoped for, I wanted this version as it gives me the most control over my system than any other version. No new and buggy feature installs to worry about, no silly windows apps preinstalled or continually reinstalling, fewer privacy issues and just generally a smooth experience.

As far as I can tell any issues I've had were Win 10 issues and not version specific.

I was looking to build a stable machine that would do everything from my gaming to my more serious stuff and I wanted as close to the same control of my system as I had with previous versions of Windows. None of this 'windows as a service' silliness with major updates multiple times a year. The LTSC version meets my requirements so I'm happy. :)
This is great. Like you, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last year, although unlike you I went for the standard SAC release as I didn't understand Windows 10 that well back then. Ever since then, I've been second guessing whether I made the right decision or if LTSC would've given me more of a "classic Windows 7" experience.

I need to reinstall Windows soon (SSD upgrade), and with your feedback I now feel comfortable with installing LTSC this time around. Thanks!

Nov 25, 2013
This is great. Like you, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last year, although unlike you I went for the standard SAC release as I didn't understand Windows 10 that well back then. Ever since then, I've been second guessing whether I made the right decision or if LTSC would've given me more of a "classic Windows 7" experience.

I need to reinstall Windows soon (SSD upgrade), and with your feedback I now feel comfortable with installing LTSC this time around. Thanks!

Cool. I would also download this program and run it every so often. It helps a bit with controlling the os:

Good luck with the switch. :)

Reactions: paperfist