Windows 10 license

tribeca600

May 18, 2017
So I built a new PC recently and installed Windows 10 Pro on it. I was able to activate it by using "changed hardware recently" option and the key linked to my Outlook account.

Now, I have my old box which has been powered off and I plan to power it on. It still has Windows 10 Pro linked to the same key. I plan to delete Windows 10 from this box and install Ubuntu Server on it.

However, I want to know that when I power it on and it boots into Windows 10 will it disable my license so that both my computers become de-activated? Or will the new PC stay activated and the old PC become de-activated or vice-versa? Or will both PCs remain activated?

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
However, I want to know that when I power it on and it boots into Windows 10 will it disable my license so that both my computers become de-activated? Or will the new PC stay activated and the old PC become de-activated or vice-versa? Or will both PCs remain activated?
It won't be instantly de-activated. If both operate consistently over days/weeks (whatever the threshold is at MS) then the new one (I assume) will eventually be de-authorized. At least that was my experience with Windows 7 and using the same key in an office environment.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Disconnect the computer from the Internet Boot and reinstall whatever you plan to.

:cool:

Reactions: Malogeek

XSoldier77X

May 23, 2017
check out Microsoft Update Catalog site. It's basically for IT administrators who like to test updates beforehand but you can still use this option to dl updates manually that you previously weren't able to see or locate. If you know the KB number of the file/update, that's even better because all you need to do is to enter taht in the top-right bar and it'll show up in the results. download the install file based on your system and windows (check it up using this pc's properties) to install the downloaded update, go to command prompt as admin and type this

C:\path-to-update\UpdateFileNameHere.msu

or you can use

C:\path-to-update\UpdateFileNameHere.msu /quiet /norestart to make it work without having to restart the system. note that update will only be finalized after it has successfully rebooted