Windows 10 is awful

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Haha I know. When win 10 came out I actually wanted to like it because win 8 sucked so much, but every time I have to use win 10 I just find it annoying. Like they changed EVERYTHING for no reason, and the UI is terrible. It's too blocky and everything is too big. You pretty much need a 4k monitor to use windows 10 because of how inefficient the GUI is at using space. So much wasted white space and UI elements are too big there's also no delimitation between UI functions, like no borders around buttons etc. I don't know, I just hate it. I was going to say it feels like a kid designed the UI but that would be insulting kids' artistic abilities.

Even to this day now that hating on windows 10 is an old worn out fad, every time I have to use it, I just find it's a frustrating experience. It's not like I'm trying to find a fault in it either, I just hate it.

And that's not even getting into the spying they do. That does not really change the usability though it's just a concept I despise.

df4xv8

Jul 1, 2018
you dont play games yet you got a 1060 gtx???

i understand about future proofing with a 1700x, i even get it with the 8gb of ram.... but the 1060 gtx for a non gamer im sort of lost on.

You could of saved yourself about 100 dollars getting a 1050 or a 1030, also be future proof'd and put the savings into a nvme drive which may have helped you with latency and speed, so your system didnt feel so sluggish.

What HDD are you using? or are you on a SSD?
Ive installed w10 on core 2 duo's with 4gb of ram, built in onboard gpu, but with a SSD, and they were all pretty snappy after all the updates were done.

Also updates are large depending on what build your install is on.
And that is at the mercy of your internet / wifi / network, so you cant really blame w10 on that.

Its just you came in here ranting about w10 without telling us much, that is why people are trying to call you out.

But then again i am a gamer... i also have a 960 PRO /w an i9 and w10 is installed using a UEFI boot.
It gets me into the welcome screen from power on in about 7 seconds from cold boot, so this is why everyone here is saying YMMV based on hardware.
Well I like fornite and dont wanna keep playing it on ps4 becuase I'm bad with sticks. I just wanted something that would last me for a while. I bought this as a prebuilt from dell. Because I've been buying desktop worskations from them for years and they gave me a really good discount for being a life long customer. Retail the pc was 1000$ but I got it for 860$. It's got a 7200rpm hard drive. All in all I've spent over 20 hours installing windows updates in the past few days. I have a 250mb wired connection. I'm also seriously considering either reinstalling win 7 and/or exchanging this pc for an intel based system because ryzen just doesn't feel so snappy like the intels at my work.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
ryzen just doesn't feel so snappy like the intels at my work.

This statement is going to get you in trouble with a lot of people here..
You just poked a bee's nest with a stick my friend.... :X

My honest advice... get a NVme... like a WD Black , 960/970 EVO, and do a UEFI install on it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well I like fornite and dont wanna keep playing it on ps4 becuase I'm bad with sticks. I just wanted something that would last me for a while. I bought this as a prebuilt from dell. Because I've been buying desktop worskations from them for years and they gave me a really good discount for being a life long customer. Retail the pc was 1000$ but I got it for 860$. It's got a 7200rpm hard drive. All in all I've spent over 20 hours installing windows updates in the past few days. I have a 250mb wired connection. I'm also seriously considering either reinstalling win 7 and/or exchanging this pc for an intel based system because ryzen just doesn't feel so snappy like the intels at my work.
Both should equally snappy with most use cases so there something wrong. I would do what a previous post said and do a complete restall of Win10 and install the latest drivers.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Win7 updates aren't any better. Windows just sucks at updates. I have no idea what takes so long, and why their high paid engineers can't fix it. A fresh install is always a torturous experience. It's one I don't often have to deal with since ditching windows, but I sometimes have to work on other people's machines. Makes a good reminder of why I don't run windows. One of the reasons anyway...

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Both should equally snappy with most use cases so there something wrong. I would do what a previous post said and do a complete restall of Win10 and install the latest drivers
Edit: And get an SSD as well. Even a SATA one will snappier then any HDD.

df4xv8

Jul 1, 2018
This statement is going to get you in trouble with a lot of people here..
You just poked a bee's nest with a stick my friend.... :X

My honest advice... get a NVme... like a WD Black , 960/970 EVO, and do a UEFI install on it.
But it's true. I have no dog in the fight. I just want what works best. Right now I'm playing fornite and the bf5 beta and I get these really big frame drops. Sometimes to as low as 1 fps. I dont think I'm going to reinstall windows or upgrade parts because this is a prebuilt. Dell offered me an exchange to an equally spec i5 six core system because I'm such a long time customer. I dont know if I should take it.

P.S. The last computer I built was my windows 8 desktop which I barely used these past few years so no I'm not entirely new to this.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
But it's true. I have no dog in the fight. I just want what works best. Right now I'm playing fornite and the bf5 beta and I get these really big frame drops. Sometimes to as low as 1 fps. I dont think I'm going to reinstall windows or upgrade parts because this is a prebuilt. Dell offered me an exchange to an equally spec i5 six core system because I'm such a long time customer. I dont know if I should take it.

P.S. The last computer I built was my windows 8 desktop which I barely used these past few years so no I'm not entirely new to this.
Dude you brought a OEM now when before you were using a desktop you built yourself? I think your issue is cause by bloatware, out of date drivers, and the HDD instead of an SSD. Plus with the BF5 beta, I believe that game recommends 16GB of memory if you are playing online.

Reactions: daveybrat

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Dude you brought a OEM now when before you were using a desktop you built yourself?
The current machine, that we're discussing in this thread, the Ryzen rig, that's a laptop, right? This isn't a pre-built desktop? If this is a desktop, then something clearly IS wrong with it, as even with a 7200RPM desktop HDD (modern, with sufficient cache, it shouldn't be all that "laggy". Well, within reason, gotta get a boot / OS SSD in there some time.)

Edit: I'd really question if you installed some popular freeware from "download sites", during your initial installation and configuration phase, if maybe you didn't get some "companionware" (malware), that could be mining on your PC in the background. Or perhaps, the HDD is defective.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The current machine, that we're discussing in this thread, the Ryzen rig, that's a laptop, right? This isn't a pre-built desktop? If this is a desktop, then something clearly IS wrong with it, as even with a 7200RPM desktop HDD (modern, with sufficient cache, it shouldn't be all that "laggy". Well, within reason, gotta get a boot / OS SSD in there some time.)
The current machine that the OP brought is a Ryzen 1700x Dell desktop. I'm thinking bloatware, bad hardware, or maybe the tech configured the UEFI wrong.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
The same is true for every modern-ish version of Windows, the historical exception being a given version when it was only about a month or two old. The same is true of Win10 1803. The people you should be annoyed with work for the manufacturer who didn't bother to update the OS before selling it to you, which again was a problem for older versions of Windows as well.

To fix your Start menu problem: www.classicshell.net
I normally do a custom install to just get the Start menu and that's it.

If you don't like security flaws being patched in your OS, then by all means try to force it not to. The only way Win10 is different in any regard to your points is that it makes it difficult to disable updating. I personally don't agree with this strategy, but then I disagree more strongly with the idea of not updating your OS at all.
Upgrading security patches is one thing. But the entirely new version of windows 2-4 times a year ? each one has broken many pieces, and I have to reinstall nvidia drivers every time. On one system that worked fine on the pre-1709 version (not sure the number) once it forced itself to 1709, it would not even boot in safe mode ! When you have over 10 computers, and your son and others reply on you to fix things, this makes my life hell.

Edit, after reading more, I agree with aigomorla, get an NVME SSD, download the win 10 ISO, and create a USB bootable drive, select it as the primary boot drive and install from scratch. Also, get 16 gig of ram. You will not believe the speed increase you will see. Boot windows in 7 seconds after bios screen finishes. NO LAGS.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Upgrading security patches is one thing. But the entirely new version of windows 2-4 times a year ? each one has broken many pieces, and I have to reinstall nvidia drivers every time. On one system that worked fine on the pre-1709 version (not sure the number) once it forced itself to 1709, it would not even boot in safe mode ! When you have over 10 computers, and your son and others reply on you to fix things, this makes my life hell.
Yeah I think Microsoft screwed up with their multiple releases each year with major changes each time. I think they will be better off slowing down and testing those updates better before releasing them.

df4xv8

Jul 1, 2018

Edit: I'd really question if you installed some popular freeware from "download sites", during your initial installation and configuration phase, if maybe you didn't get some "companionware" (malware), that could be mining on your PC in the background. Or perhaps, the HDD is defective.
I dont install freecrap. Second I use windows decrapifier but somehow still I get bloat and ads from the start menu and programs self reinstalling. This pc is brand new less than a week old. My old windows 8 gaming desktop hasn't been used by me in a while. It's in the family room for everyone to use. I just want my things to work without hindering me. I dont see why I as the end user have to put so much work into making windows 10 work when previous versions of windows were plug and play. No I do not own any ssds for any of my pcs.

P.S. As I write this windows says my pc is 'at risk' and decided to update again without my permission or consent. I could not stop it. I've waited an hour to post this and had to rewrite it twice to the best of my memory. While windows was updating itself

df4xv8

Jul 1, 2018
I just contacted dell and they couldn't do a thing for me. I'm going to do a factory refresh and see if that helps. Otherwise I'm just going to return this pc or install windows 7 on it.

Good job microsoft you ruined your flagship product through sheer incompetence.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I just contacted dell and they couldn't do a thing for me. I'm going to do a factory refresh and see if that helps. Otherwise I'm just going to return this pc or install windows 7 on it.

Good job microsoft you ruined your flagship product through sheer incompetence.
It is entirely possible that you simply brought bad hardware, it happens even the the best companies produces Lemons once in awhile.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

its dell bloatware thats making things bad.

not to mention the fact its not an SSD.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Just did a fresh install 10 Pro, took about 10 minutes from a USB 3.1 to a 970Evo NVME.2

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Just did a fresh install 10 Pro, took about 10 minutes from a USB 3.1 to a 970Evo NVME.2
Exactly. And when you download the latest win10 version and make a USB bootable flash drive, there are almost no updates.
NVME is the only way to go.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It's crazy that prebuilt computers STILL don't come with a SSD by default. I guess they're going to milk that for as long as they can. You always pay a lot extra for that "option". It should not be an "option", it should be default. The option should be to add a HDD for extra space. Every system I build now has a SSD for the OS drive, there's no reason not to. Spindle drives do have their place though, for raided mass storage.

And yeah what is up with Windows updates, it's always been so bloody slow at updating. Never understood that. What the hell is it even doing that it needs to take that long? It's not even the download that takes long, it's the installing. We're talking files that are smaller than 1GB, it should be a matter of a few minutes at very most and not hours, even on a slow spindle drive.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
It's crazy that prebuilt computers STILL don't come with a SSD by default. I guess they're going to milk that for as long as they can. You always pay a lot extra for that "option". It should not be an "option", it should be default. The option should be to add a HDD for extra space. Every system I build now has a SSD for the OS drive, there's no reason not to. Spindle drives do have their place though, for raided mass storage.

And yeah what is up with Windows updates, it's always been so bloody slow at updating. Never understood that. What the hell is it even doing that it needs to take that long? It's not even the download that takes long, it's the installing. We're talking files that are smaller than 1GB, it should be a matter of a few minutes at very most and not hours, even on a slow spindle drive.
I agree as an SSD will give users the best bang for the buck. I think at this stage however, unless you are buying a higher end desktop or notebook you are going to have install it yourself or build your own system.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
I have a Dell desktop and don't really have any problems with slowdowns on win 10
I do hate it though. The ugly interface, forced updates, bugs that have never been resolved, trying to force you to use Edge, and most of all, trying to send you to the Windows Store just drive me nuts.

Reactions: whm1974

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
My last couple of Dells didn't have much in the way of bloatware (at least compared to what they used to put on their PCs).

As far as Windows 10 goes, to mirror what others here have already stated, as long as the OS drive is at a minimum a SATA SSD, I find it pretty speedy. However, use a NVMe drive and it's super responsive. It's not perfect, and there are always some kind of upgrade bugs, but it really doesn't bother me too much. One thing I love about it though is it super stable (even compared to how good Windows 7 was).

For me, the worst OS Microsoft ever put out was Windows Millennium Edition. I only paid like $10 for it on-base as a launch promotion, and I still feel like I got ripped off. :p

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Theres loads of things I'd change.

Forced installation of bloatware would be the first.
Opening things in Edge even when I've told it not to. (I've actually broken Edge so it's non functional to stop it doing that)
Having to do some things in the control panel and some things in the settings page when they are supposed to be the same thing. Plus they have wildly different UIs.

I could probably continue this all morning so I'll stop now! :D
Ooh ooh!

The fact that Windows doesn't actually shut down and restart anymore, it just kind of goes to sleep then continues your last session when you restart it. If I wanted to do that I'd use the sleep option instead of the restart one!

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Ooh ooh!

The fact that Windows doesn't actually shut down and restart anymore, it just kind of goes to sleep then continues your last session when you restart it. If I wanted to do that I'd use the sleep option instead of the restart one!
Start -> Sign-in Options -> Privacy -> Use my sign-in info... after an update or restart

That annoys the crap out of me too.