windows 10 download/installation problem

bob2300

Oct 5, 2015
I have a problem trying to install windows 10. After clicking on the windows 10 icon for installing it, it states that I do not have the minimum 2 GB of ram, that my pc is incompatible. I have 12 GB of ram in my pc!I contacted Microsoft, their techs solutions have not helped. I noticed that when I look at my system summary it shows "installed physical memory" as "not available". It shows total physical memory as 12 GB, available physical memory as 9.26 GB, total virtual memory as 16 GB, available virtual memory as 12.5 GB, page file space as 4.03 GB. I believe that the "installed physical memory" item is the problem. Why doe this memory item show up as "not available"? I have the latest Bios revision on my MB, I have run memory diagnostic checks, no errors reported. I have all the latest windows updates, am running windows 7, 64 bit. Any help out there would be appreciated.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
What motherboard we talking about?

Also, I would get one of the 64bit linux boot CD/DVD/flash drive distro, and boot with that, and see what it reports.

Last edited:

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah easiest is probably to remove extra ram and just leave in a minimal amount of 2 GB or 4 GB and do the install. After you install, then add the additional ram back in.

Also, consider downloading the USB installation for Windows 10, save it on a USB stick, then try that (instead of downloading and installing in-place on the same computer). You could even use a different computer to download the USB install.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Here's what worked for me. The live download/upgrade would not work - my CPU was "incompatible." (I5 - right!) So, I used the Microsoft tool and downloaded the Win 10 Pro ISO file, and burned a DVD from it.

I then booted my laptop to Win 7 Ult, and disconnected the Internet cable. This prevents the installation from mischievous communication with MX for "latest updates." I then ran the upgrade from an optical drive.

That worked and the install was perfect. When I tried it first with the Internet connected, it gave the same BS about incompatible CPU.

bob2300

Oct 5, 2015

bob2300

Oct 5, 2015
Here's what worked for me. The live download/upgrade would not work - my CPU was "incompatible." (I5 - right!) So, I used the Microsoft tool and downloaded the Win 10 Pro ISO file, and burned a DVD from it.

I then booted my laptop to Win 7 Ult, and disconnected the Internet cable. This prevents the installation from mischievous communication with MX for "latest updates." I then ran the upgrade from an optical drive.

That worked and the install was perfect. When I tried it first with the Internet connected, it gave the same BS about incompatible CPU.
As to your possible solution, and to the previous replies to my thread, I have tried all, still no change. I am using a Biostar TA790GX A3+ motherboard and a AMD PhenomII x4 965 CPU. System summary still reports "installed physical memory" as "not available". Anyone else out there have any ideas?

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
From the interwebs, maybe it will work:

I had a similar issue like this when I attempted to install Windows 10. However, this was from a preview build. (Ironic right?)

I disabled Windows Management Instrumentation. This can be done by disabling the service via Win+R -> msconfig then selecting the tab Services and finding the Windows Management Instrumentation then unchecking it and rebooting.

If you do not wish to reboot, just start up services.msc (Win+R -> services.msc) and then stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service and it's accompanying dependent services.

The setup will now proceed as expected.

This service provides extensions to the Windows Driver Model. Disabling this most likely removes access to critical checking functions, which results in the installer getting some sort of satisfactory results on the pre-checks.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
What does the BIOS report for installed memory in BIOS setup?? Not properly reporting physical memory is possibly a BIOS memory sizing/reporting issue or you have a flakey/defective module. BIOSTAR doesn't appear to have tested too many memory modules beyond 2GB capacity. Check that you have the latest non-beta BIOS (which appears to be 78DAA420.BST).

As for software:

- Run msconfig
- In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.
- Look for "Maximum memory" check box, make sure the box is UNticked (clear it), and then click Apply or OK
- Restart the computer and recheck memory reporting

Are you overclocking any component CPU or RAM?

Last edited: