Windows 10 build 1809 freezes

Feb 4, 2009
Updated to windows 10 1809 and my PC consistently freezes if I have anything more than one program open. Reinstalled chrome and that sort of helped but the instant I start up steam or mail (outlook thing built into windows 10) my machine freezes.
Tried to check for windows update but it froze during that too

I need some suggestions please

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is the older Core2Quad box? Maybe some lower-level hardware diagnostics are in order too. Have you checked the mobo with a flashlight, and made sure that it is nearly dust-free, and checked the capacitors for swelling or leaking? (Many boards around that era had Solid Caps, though, which should still be OK. Most Gigabyte P35/P45/G31/G41 boards did.)

I might try going into the BIOS, "M.I.T. Menu", and bump up the voltages on the CPU Vcore and Vdimm (DRAM voltage) just a hair. Maybe years of usage have lead to some degradation. Hit CTRL-F1, I think, at the main BIOS menu screen, to "unlock" extra stuff in the MIT menu.

Also try, make a bootable Linux LiveUSB ( www.linuxmint.com ) on another PC and booting off of that, possibly with the HDD or SSD disconnected. That might give you an idea if the problem is your Windows' install, or the storage drive that the OS is on, or whether there's a hardware issue with CPU/mobo/RAM/video.

If that rig has a HDD, sometimes when they go out, you can get "freezes".

Feb 4, 2009
This is the older Core2Quad box? Maybe some lower-level hardware diagnostics are in order too. Have you checked the mobo with a flashlight, and made sure that it is nearly dust-free, and checked the capacitors for swelling or leaking? (Many boards around that era had Solid Caps, though, which should still be OK. Most Gigabyte P35/P45/G31/G41 boards did.)

I might try going into the BIOS, "M.I.T. Menu", and bump up the voltages on the CPU Vcore and Vdimm (DRAM voltage) just a hair. Maybe years of usage have lead to some degradation. Hit CTRL-F1, I think, at the main BIOS menu screen, to "unlock" extra stuff in the MIT menu.

Also try, make a bootable Linux LiveUSB ( www.linuxmint.com ) on another PC and booting off of that, possibly with the HDD or SSD disconnected. That might give you an idea if the problem is your Windows' install, or the storage drive that the OS is on, or whether there's a hardware issue with CPU/mobo/RAM/video.

If that rig has a HDD, sometimes when they go out, you can get "freezes".

Yeah my Q9650 w/8GB
Was working fine until the update, I replaced the mechanical Drive with an ssd a few years ago.
I really don’t want to reinstall windows but I may have to.
I know I need a new build trying to make it until July.
Literally the machine was perfect until that update, I’m angry at myself because I thought updating could be bad news.

The mother board is a P5Q ASUS, I specifically bought that one because of the all solid caps, I remember reading on these forums about all the crappy motherboard with caps that failed.
Last big problem I cleaned the machine well, I did notice one tiny cap that *may* have looked a tiny bit more “round” than its brothers close by but it was very hard to tell for sure.

From messing around last night first few minutes after start up task manager shows huge swings in CPU usage 9%-90%. Seems like the freezing has something to do with outlook, chrome and steam. Consistently freezes when one is ether started or doing something. I appear to be okay if I run them individually.
As in I can have steam running with a game no problem, I can have outlook open no problem, I can brows with chrome alone no problem. Add anything else to the mix and machine freezes when it starts or shortly after.

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah my Q9650 w/8GB
Was working fine until the update, I replaced the mechanical Drive with an ssd a few years ago.
I really don’t want to reinstall windows but I may have to.
I know I need a new build trying to make it until July.
Literally the machine was perfect until that update, I’m angry at myself because I thought updating could be bad news.

The mother board is a P5Q ASUS, I specifically bought that one because of the all solid caps, I remember reading on these forums about all the crappy motherboard with caps that failed.
Last big problem I cleaned the machine well, I did notice one tiny cap that *may* have looked a tiny bit more “round” than its brothers close by but it was very hard to tell for sure.

From messing around last night first few minutes after start up task manager shows huge swings in CPU usage 9%-90%. Seems like the freezing has something to do with outlook, chrome and steam. Consistently freezes when one is ether started or doing something. I appear to be okay if I run them individually.
As in I can have steam running with a game no problem, I can have outlook open no problem, I can brows with chrome alone no problem. Add anything else to the mix and machine freezes when it starts or shortly after.

Grrr upon further research since I used the windows upgrade assistant it appears I need to do a full clean reinstall from an iso to go back to build 1803
Grrr pretty pissed about that.