Windows 10 and mouse lag / stutter when CPU usage is high

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
Almost as soon as I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 Pro I noticed this very annoying tendencies where my mouse lags / stutters when cpu usage is high.

Kaveri A8-7600
4 gb DDR3 RAM 1600 mhz with 1 GB used for iGPU
256 gb SSD

My computer spec is rather underwhelming since I will be leaving the country soon so am not interested in upgrading. Given that memory and cpu usage is usually very high the mouse is lagging way too often. Even loading a page in chrome can result in a mouse stutter/lag.

This has never been a problem in Win 8.1 for me.
Has anyone experiencing the same issue or has any idea why this is happening in Win 10 ?

It's getting so bad I'm considering moving back to Linux for a while when not gaming.

Last edited:

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
These are the kind of surprises you get when you upgrade an OS. Save your windows product key and format doing a clean installation. 10 has no issues with any mouse lag. If anything, I only experienced mouse lag with Windows 8.1 before.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Did you install Catalyst 15.7.1 from amd.com for Windows 10, or are you using the MS Basic Display Adapter (software-driven)?

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
I'm using catalyst.

Used to have random BSOD after upgrading to windows 10 where it says THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER or something like that which is apparently graphic card related. Had to wait for an updated driver which fixed most of the random BSOD but it does happen from time to time under specific circumstances ( e.g. watching youtube while 3d games in windowed mode is active). Again I've only experienced this behavior in win 10.

Clean install an OS is a last resort option that I'd rather not take just yet.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Are you within the time period to downgrade? If your cpu usage is that high, I would be surprised if you were not having lag. Turning off 3d acceleration in Chrome may help.

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
Well I gave up and reset the whole thing.

Start -> Settings -> Update and Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC

The computer is now way faster than before. And there's no mouse stutter whatsoever in the 2 hours of testing; at least not yet.

My suspicion about the stutter is because I moved my ssd to a laptop for a little bit to check how much faster it would feel with an SSD.
It did install stuff like nvidia and touchpad drivers for that laptop which is useless in my desktop but certainly had not thought it could cause a problem.

Still unsure what caused the cpu usage to be that high. I'm now again on Chrome with 20+ tabs open, the same extension but cpu usage is really low.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Good to hear that problem is gone! I am glad MS started offering that feature in 8, right inside the OS.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Well I gave up and reset the whole thing.

Start -> Settings -> Update and Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC

The computer is now way faster than before. And there's no mouse stutter whatsoever in the 2 hours of testing; at least not yet.

My suspicion about the stutter is because I moved my ssd to a laptop for a little bit to check how much faster it would feel with an SSD.
It did install stuff like nvidia and touchpad drivers for that laptop which is useless in my desktop but certainly had not thought it could cause a problem.

Still unsure what caused the cpu usage to be that high. I'm now again on Chrome with 20+ tabs open, the same extension but cpu usage is really low.

It more than likely also auto-installed motherboard drivers for the laptop, which were conflicting on the desktop. Swapping boot drives around like that is no bueno for this exact reason. Glad a clean install fixed the issue.

turn_pike

Mar 4, 2012
Back in the days of win 95 to win xp this is what my friends and i used to do.

We would go to a friend's house who was moonlighting at repairing pc, each one of us armed with our hard drives. Then we would plug our drive on a usable pc and start a lan party.

My windows must have drivers installed for like 200 different devices.