Windows 10 and HD Audio

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I've recently noticed that for some reason Windows 10 doesn't support HD audio like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD at least with my setup.

It worked fine over HDMI from my graphics card in windows 7 but they simply aren't there in Supported Formats,

After seeing that my 5 month old receiver wasn't coming up as HDCP compatible in Nvidia Control Panel, which I'm sure it did in windows 7 (and taking a look right now it says it is), I found that by getting certain cheap HDMI splitters you could forgo the HDCP handshake and play content on hardware that didn't support HDCP.

The splitter arrived this morning but the HD audio formats didn't appear. I also heard crackling very time audio played so I've ordered 2x HDMI 2.0 leads that should be here by Wednesday.

The splitter itself supports HDMI version 1.3b, I don't think this should be a problem as it is only connected to my receiver. My monitor is connected via DVI.

Like I mentioned before, it now says both my monitor and receiver are HDCP compatible, and the logo shows they are locked in. I had initially thought that because my receiver didn't have HDCP 2.2 support, that would be the issue but it seems not anymore.

Has anyone else had these kinds of issues with Windows 10 or 8?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Someone commented in another thread on this subject a few weeks ago, regarding NV dropping support for HD pre-encoded audio formats, that NV just didn't want to continue to pay the licensing fees.

Or it could just be a driver bug / omission. But given the caliber of NV's driver team, I'm not sure that I buy that notion.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Hmm, they were available in the same numbered driver release for windows 7. I have contacted Nvidia driver feedback over the issue but no reply. Perhaps if I found a previous incarnation of the HD Audio driver.

Do AMD users still have Access? Is it worth turning my IGP on to see if that has it?

Last edited:

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
I'd turn on your IGP to see if it still has it or not, if it does that makes it more likely that there's some odd driver issue going on. If not then there's something going on with either the receiver, the cable or the content.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Can't seem to get the IGP Audio to show itself in playback devices.

I have tried enabling the IGP and installing the drivers that came with my motherboard. Says installing display and audio drivers. Intel Display audio shows up in device manager but not playback devices.

Have tried latest drivers from Intel, only installs display driver, no audio driver shows up in device manager.

Tried switching the Realtek from SPDIF to HDMI in the bios, causes PC to lock up in windows just as the Intel icon appears in the taskbar.

Tried disabling the Realtek completely in the bios, Windows boots but still no Intel audio in either device manager or playback devices.

Tried uninstalling Realtek drivers and Intel drivers, and then installing the Intel drivers ones that came with my motherboard. Intel Audio shows up in device manager but not playback devices. Windows then re-installs basic Realtek drivers.

At no point during any of this am I able to get sound from the built in HDMI port.

Have tried switching from HDMI to SPDIF and back again in the bios, still no luck.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
Has suddenly resolved itself now! after weeks of troubleshooting, I put a message up on the windows 10 forums and all of a sudden, there they were!

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
If you did an upgrade install of Windows 10, it could have been that you just needed to reinstall your GPU drivers (which eventually happened automagically via windows update or the nvidia updater).

I had to reinstall mine on my system that I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10.

Deders

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2012
I did actually re-install every driver for windows 10 as I found there were latency issues meaning things weren't running as smoothly as they should. I will usually update display drivers as soon as they are released.

After weeks of troubleshooting, the issue resolved itself. All of a sudden the properties for Nvidia audio reset itself back to stereo 16bit 44KHz, and the missing formats reappeared in the list.

I'm really not sure why. I had spent some time experimenting to get HDaudio from the Intel chip but it never appeared. I've since left my igp enabled. It also meant I was swapping the HDMI lead about a lot, which I suppose could be a possibility but the formats appeared in Windows 7, but dissappeared in 10 with the lead in exactly the same position.