• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Windows 10 and drivers

Turbonium

Golden Member
Mar 15, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on a fresh install, Windows 10 seems to detect all devices, and install any necessary, and updated versions, of drivers (which I find rather incredible, as things have come a long way).

Still, is it recommended to manually download and install drivers off manufacturer websites? Say, for a GPU, for example?

I'm just not used to this ease-of-use with Windows.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
If the manufacturer of a given piece of hardware has released a Windows 10 driver, I would probably use it.

If there's nothing particularly special in the machine and it's from an era older than Windows 10, I think Win10 can be relied upon to get reasonably decent drivers the vast majority of the time.

Another thing to bear in mind that if the GPU is a few years old, even if the manufacturer shows a newer driver, it doesn't necessarily mean it's better. IIRC my R9 380X stopped getting better+newer drivers a couple of years ago; they (AMD) still release new drivers but it's not like anything is changing for an older graphics card usually, maybe if a new game doesn't work properly then maybe a driver fix will become available, but in terms of general performance/stability improvements, probably not.

vic11con

Jun 1, 2021
Most of the times you don't need to install the drivers manually but sometimes if you feel like you can definitely do it manually. Or you can use some drivers updating tools or softwares.

ASK THE COMMUNITY