News Windows 10 20H2 is released, here are the new features

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
1603233724249.png

That's the size that an x64 + x86 (both 64-bit and 32-bit) USB installer using MCT 20H2 creates. Plan accordingly.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
So.. I got the Media Creation and downloaded an ISO of all English Versions.

Installing it on a USB Flsh drive yields close to 9GB, if you need a comprehensive USB it has to be 16GB drive.
Otherwise choose the x64 only, or the x32 only, then each can be installed on 8GB Flash Drive.

I have a system that it is too complicated to do clean Install and rebuild the whole drive, so I do in-place Upgrade.

It took about 40 Min. to Upgrade Win 10 H x64.

An interesting point. Usually after a major Upgrade the OS Build changes to xxxxx.1, after this Upgrade the Version changed to 20H2 but the build stayed 19042.572 which the build that was established few days ago with the last update before the Upgrade.

Otherwise, everything seems to be same in few hours that I worked on it.

:cool:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
9GB? How much garbage is in there?

My first Seagate 5.25" hard drive was just 20MB.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
An interesting point. Usually after a major Upgrade the OS Build changes to xxxxx.1, after this Upgrade the Version changed to 20H2 but the build stayed 19042.572 which the build that was established few days ago with the last update before the Upgrade.
That is interesting. I was doing the Oct (2020-10) Cumulative Update on one of my PCs (I think a dual-core Sandy Bridge laptop), and it was taking QUITE a while. I actually suspected then (a few days ago), that this would be like the 1903 to 1909 update (I think that was the one), where the "meat" of the upgrade was "stealth" delivered in a cumulative update, and that the actual "version upgrade", was nothing more than a reboot and a few registry entries changed. It seems that this "upgrade" may be similar, I suspect. I will find out in a minute, once I click that "Install" button for this PC.

Edit: Ok, now on 20H2 64-bit Pro on my main rig. The update DID seem like it was staging files, and not just a registry-and-reboot upgrade.

Main programs seem to work. Upgrade may have un-installed Malwarebytes on me, though. I see a "hole" in my list of icons.

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Yup, Microsoft has to mess with the looks of the start menu yet again. :oops:

Think of it like the Mozilla development team thinking that it's time for a new default Firefox theme :) Plenty of other work to do, but apparently art class is more fun.

The page from bleepingcomputer that doesn't 404:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm pretty flexible with the start menu, and I generally have just used what Windows sets it at.

The problem has been as soon as I get used to the look/layout, Microsoft changes it. Not once, not twice, and to be honest it happens so many times, I forget just how many it has been now. :p

P.S. Microsoft, decide on the start menu looks and leave it alone.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
I installed last night, no issues. Although it does seem to be a little bit (not much) faster.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ok to upgrade from 1909? Any major game performance changes?

Nov 20, 2009
Ok to upgrade from 1909? Any major game performance changes?
You see, this is one of the reasons why I clone my boot OS SSDs. Clean an old clone off using SecureErase, reclone with Samsung Data Migration, and then with only the active boot SSD install the upgrade. Easy.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yeah I would of course do a system backup first, which I just did. But I am just wondering if it is even worth trying yet, if anyone knows? I see there is also a new Radeon driver, not a whole lot of news though as far as new features like hardware scheduling.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Although it does seem to be a little bit (not much) faster.
At first, I thought that your post was just a placebo.

Then I upgraded a 1.1Ghz Celeron 847 ULV (Zotac ZBOX) mini-PC, that had an SSD with Windows (1909? 2004? Not really sure, didn't check, but I think that it was 2004 on there), and it prompted right away on Windows Update to do the 20H2 upgrade.

So, after upgrading everything else, and waiting until the CPU load was mostly quiescent, I did the upgrade. I didn't watch it, I just started it, did things, came back to it, rebooted, waited another hour or so, and switched back to it, and it was at the Windows 10 desktop.

I clicked on the Start Menu, Settings, Updates and Security, and .. it DID seem a bit faster.

Now, maybe this is some conspiratorial illusion, that Microsoft sets a UI fade-in / fly-out delay (which could be tweaked in Win9x and possibly XP), and every new version, they reduce that delay by 1-2 or a fraction of a ms, and voila, each new edition / version of Windows, "feels faster", but you just can't place why.

Or maybe, it really is a bit lighter on the UI now. Can't quite tell. (This unit has a GT 610 NV GPU in it, not sure how much video RAM, because it's onboard.)

Edit: That said, I was viewing the ZBOX in a 1080p30 video-capture device window, on top of my Win10 desktop, which itself was mining on my RX 5700 (primary) and GTX 1660 ti (secondary), as well as full CPU load (12 threads of PrimeGrid, on my Ryzen R5 3600). So results could be mis-leading.

And prior to that, I did the upgrade on that very box, using MCT 20H2. I didn't notice any UI speed differences to note on the "big box". But then again, I'm mining on it, which can affect graphics performance of the UI and Windows desktop.

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Upgraded 4 computers; 2 laptops, a desktop, and my HTPC. Everything went smooth and they all seemed to be running ok. All running Windows 10 Pro. Did a Disk Cleanup on all of them. Ran sfc /scannow on all 4 and got the same result. The CBS.log on my HTPC showed that the problem was directories/folders that were owned twice or had its security set twice?? Ran sfc /scannow again and no problems found. So suggest you do the same.

Capture.PNG

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Good to know. SFC is always useful.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Upgraded 4 computers; 2 laptops, a desktop, and my HTPC. Everything went smooth and they all seemed to be running ok. All running Windows 10 Pro. Did a Disk Cleanup on all of them. Ran sfc /scannow on all 4 and got the same result. The CBS.log on my HTPC showed that the problem was directories/folders that were owned twice or had its security set twice?? Ran sfc /scannow again and no problems found. So suggest you do the same.

Apparently it does this on a clean install as well:

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Interesting. Well I just did an upgrade from 1909 on my X99 rig, and it found no violations when running SFC.

MadScientist

Platinum Member
Jul 15, 2001
Apparently it does this on a clean install as well:

That poster's CBS.log looks similar to mine, and all 4 of my computers' CBS logs looked the same. I always run a sfc /scannow after a major Windows update and it's not found any corrupt files until now.
Here's a snip from one of the CBS logs:

Capture1.PNG