Windows 10 (1903 ) no internet with browsers after sleep mode sometimes, but can ping sites.

country2

May 1, 2001
Hey, every now and then after waking from sleep mode my internet does not work unless I do a re-boot. Strange thing does not happen eveytime and when it does happen I can ping my router and can ping googgle dns 8.8.8.8 and msn site just cannot get browser(s) to do anything...they start upbut its as if they cannot find the sites just get the action symbol...I know on firefox on lower left hand corner I have seen it say its waiting for tsl handshake. I wonder if I need to turn that off...then again this happens in chrome and edge.

This happens on wired or wireless and with different browsers. This is on my AMD 3800x build with MSI B450I latest bios and latest network drivers. I have also changed power setting from AMD Balanced,high performance to performance with same results. Any one knows how to fix this or sen anything like this before? Thanks!

Last edited:

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
An issue I experienced very long ago was that the NIC (ethernet hardware) wouldn't come out of sleep mode correctly, so disabling Windows's setting for (IIRC on wording) "allow Windows to turn off this hardware to save power" in Device Manager for the NIC would do the trick. Windows 10 no longer has that option IIRC, or it might be tucked away elsewhere.

Both of you - when you experience this issue, if you disable and re-enable the network adapter in ncpa.cpl (you can type that in a run prompt, Start + R or right-click Start > Run), does that get your Internet access working again?

PS: Playing with TLS would be barking up the wrong tree, I'm 99.9% certain of that.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Hey, every now and then after waking from sleep mode my internet does not work unless I do a re-boot. Strange thing does not happen eveytime and when it does happen I can ping my router and can ping googgle dns 8.8.8.8 and msn site just cannot get browser(s) to do anything...they start upbut its as if they cannot find the sites just get the action symbol...I know on firefox on lower left hand corner I have seen it say its waiting for tsl handshake. I wonder if I need to turn that off...then again this happens in chrome and edge.

This happens on wired or wireless and with different browsers. This is on my AMD 3800x build with MSI B450I latest bios and latest network drivers. I have also changed power setting from AMD Balanced,high performance to performance with same results. Any one knows how to fix this or sen anything like this before? Thanks!

Are you sure it's not a DNS problem? Might sound odd but maybe try setting static DNS servers, maybe even a static IP/gateway too. I have seen some old network cards that just don't play well with DHCP after awhile.

PS: Playing with TLS would be barking up the wrong tree, I'm 99.9% certain of that.

I would agree with that.

country2

May 1, 2001
Guess I need to give a update.
I had tried changing adapter setting to where windows does not put it to sleep but did not help any.Not a DNS issue as I tried different ones as that's what I was thinking at first also. I deleted and made a profile in Firefox and so far (about 2 weeks now) have not had a issue. I have not messed with Edge as it also was doing it. Maybe if I get bored I'll use Edge for a while and see if it still does it and if I can fix it also.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
So Firefox was having the issue and so was (is?) Edge, then Firefox stopped having the issue on a new profile?

If so, I'd run a custom scan with Malwarebytes with the option for rootkit checking enabled.

country2

May 1, 2001
So Firefox was having the issue and so was (is?) Edge, then Firefox stopped having the issue on a new profile?

If so, I'd run a custom scan with Malwarebytes with the option for rootkit checking enabled.

Any browser I tried at the time did this, Strange thing is 100 times after sleep might happen 3 times. Have not tried any other browser since new profile fixed FF. I run malwarebytes lifetime with rootkit enabled.