Windows 10 1809 (Redston 5) Is here.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Who updates without backing up first?

Based on how many "My drive died and I need a way to get my data" threads I've seen here (even from people who have been on here for 15+ years), probably a very high percentage of users.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Who updates without backing up first?

Who rushes to install an unnecessary OS update? :) Back in the days of OS service packs I'd leave them for at least a month before trying them out on a test platform.

More seriously though, one possibility could be users putting their trust in automated backup procedures only to find that trust was misplaced, or users who thought they had everything of value backed up when they didn't, or users who hadn't tested their backup procedure before, or the backup drive fails shortly after the live storage system suffers a setback.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Who keeps essential data on their OS drive to begin with? It should not even be a question.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I'd hazard a guess at about 99% of users.
This.
Microsoft has designed it to be this way from the beginning (well, since 95 anyway) and I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with it as long as you have a back up plan. With all the crap Window has you do when setting up 10, I am disappointouted that they don't have backups set up as step 1. I suppose they think system restore is enough.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
This.
Microsoft has designed it to be this way from the beginning (well, since 95 anyway) and I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with it as long as you have a back up plan. With all the crap Window has you do when setting up 10, I am disappointouted that they don't have backups set up as step 1. I suppose they think system restore is enough.

Judging by the advice that the Windows Security Center gives out lately, I suspect MS think that OneDrive is a general-purpose backup. I'm surprised they haven't started marketing it in that way yet.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Not surprised they pulled it, found this link over at OcUK, https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...10-october-2018-update-users-files-go-missing ,

Microsoft pulls the Windows 10 October 2018 Update as it investigates user files going missing
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update, known as version 1809, has been pulled amidst user files being deleted upon upgrade.

Microsoft also advices not clean installing the new update either. It's possible that this issue will be fixed in a cumulative update, or it may be a big enough problem that requires Microsoft to compile another RTM build, just as it did with the April 2018 Update. Microsoft has been struggling to assure quality with its last few feature update releases at launch, which does not paint a positive picture for customers.

I'm just thankful both my 1809 builds are ok.

RLGL

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2013
Judging by the advice that the Windows Security Center gives out lately, I suspect MS think that OneDrive is a general-purpose backup. I'm surprised they haven't started marketing it in that way yet.

There is a limit on the size of the files, If I remember it is 10G. My initial backup would have to be split up , a PIA.
I do a continuous backup to an external and another to an internal drive

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Who ever picked up the latest work on it seems to try to add some "Business adavndge" to the code.

I would not suggest to use it.

:cool:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Who ever picked up the latest work on it seems to try to add some "Business adavndge" to the code.
I would not suggest to use it.
:cool:

Did you find out where his code is adding some business advantage?

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I didn't have any loss of data butbi had to revert because it broke vmware and a bunch of other software.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but I had some problems getting 1809 to install correctly. I wasn't watching it too closely, but believe my Lenovo Yoga 2 laptop cycled through initializing, downloading and installing at least a couple of time before prompting me for a restart. My big desktop upgraded with any issues. However, I couldn't get it to install on my wife's desktop (HP); it would go through the upgrade sequence after restarting but would apparently end up reverting back to the previous build. The Windows upgrade log showed that it had failed. I did this twice before finding that the update was unceremoniously withdrawn. Thankfully, I had no obvious file losses.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Has MS identified or revealed what exactly was deleting files? My initial guess would be some kind of user profile reset or clear or something...

...or Chinese hackers.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
So I have been trying to install the RSAT tools on 1809 with no success so far.

Following these instructions:
http://woshub.com/install-rsat-feature-windows-10-powershell/

It seems like the first method did something but no tools showed up and the powershell command seems to be taking Way too long, it looks like it is stuck. So I have no idea what is going on - could it be that something on the domain or SCCM is blocking installation??!