Window Air Conditioners

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
So it is hot as hell, and my window AC broke two days ago. So I'm looking around town, and NOBODY has any. Nobody. They already have the heaters out, and it is 90* or so. What the hell?

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
I'll sell you my air conditioner. Haven't had the need to use it at all this summer (west coast).

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
I was joking. I'm saving it for next summer when we will have the heat wave and east coast will have the mild weather.

Rumpltzer

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2003
Still plenty at Costco last week when I was there. It just doesn't get that hot in the beach areas of Los Angeles.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
There were plenty at the local Costco two weeks ago here as well.

We've had an exceptionally mild summer. (for us) Only a few days over 100 so far.

Looks like the Costco website is also sold out of the window units.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
There are probably plenty on a pallet in back. Most retail employees are too lazy to go get them down for you though.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
That sucks. Probably don't want to hear how I have a spare in the basement, huh? :p

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
So it is hot as hell, and my window AC broke two days ago. So I'm looking around town, and NOBODY has any. Nobody. They already have the heaters out, and it is 90* or so. What the hell?

Who would have thought that window a/c units are going to be sold out when there are many heat-waves in the country right now?

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
Craigslist...? Buying a window a/c unit brand new is for suckers. They depreciate like mad.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Or check Home Depot/Lowes or even Orchard Supply/Sears.

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
They are phasing out window air conditioners as they are extrememly inefficient noisy etc etc.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
They are phasing out window air conditioners as they are extrememly inefficient noisy etc etc.

wtf? Not possible. Millions of Americans rent apartments without central air conditioning.
The window air conditioner is one of the greatest inventions. EVER.

When I moved in the spring I needed two new A.C.'s. What I noticed is that there are fewer companies making them, many are the same model re-badged under several different brands.
The problem is that the quality has drastically decreased as they are now noiser and more prone to failure.

I guess the Chinese companies who make them are too concerned with their employees committing suicide, and how to get more lead into their products.

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
wtf? Not possible. Millions of Americans rent apartments without central air conditioning.

When I moved in the spring I needed two new A.C.'s. What I noticed is that there are fewer companies making them, many are the same model re-badged under several different brands.
The problem is that the quality has drastically decreased as they are now noiser and more prone to failure.

I guess the Chinese companies who make them are too concerned with their employees committing suicide, and how to get more lead into their products.

Like it or not, they are being phased out. Split sytems are far superior and far quieter. There are now solar split systems on the market so this will push the end of the window rattler.

And good riddance they are noisy pieces of crap

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000

Like it or not, they are being phased out. Split sytems are far superior and far quieter. There are now solar split systems on the market so this will push the end of the window rattler.

Nope they are not being phased out. And they were not noisy ten years ago. Cheap Chinese A.C.'s are noisy.

And they only appear to be being phased out because the prices and profit margins are so low stores don't advertise them, or stock them out of season.

Last edited:

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

so, how does an apt dweller use those? You have to poke a hole in the wall to use it....most apt do not let you do that...

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
the last week of August isn't a time when many people are buying new AC's... I'm in the midst of moving and debating if I should even bother installing mine in my new apartment (versus just tossing them in the basement until next year)

Sea Moose

Diamond Member
May 12, 2009
so, how does an apt dweller use those? You have to poke a hole in the wall to use it....most apt do not let you do that...

you will have to fight your body corp or home owners agreement i think you call it in america

generally you can put them in as long as the meet conditions

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
you will have to fight your body corp or home owners agreement i think you call it in america

it's a pretty safe bet that in 99.9% of the apartments you'll ever live in, your landlord won't let you punch out a giant hole in the wall, and older buildings (re: the entire North East/Mid-Atlantic) are prohibitively expensive to setup central air in.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000

goodluck with that...especially since most apts are not owned by HOAs, but a single landlord. You can try explain to them the feasibility of them spending 1.5K when they can simply save their money and have the tenant provide a window unit and take it out when they are done. Also, have fun explaining to the landlord why you left a big hole in the wall when you remove the non window unit. You can also kiss your rental deposit goodbye.