Apr 8, 2003
I'm looking for a mobo.
I have a 1700xp
HD
SDRAM and DDR ram modules
graphics card
yadayada
Basically I have a decent puter in spare parts and all I need is a mobo
Usually I buy WINXP with my mobos but this time I'm feeling cheap.
It'll just be a game/entertainment LAN toy.
I understand that new mobos freak out on 98.
Does anybody have any stable 98 install experience with newer socketA boards?
I'm looking for mobo suggestions.
Bill Gates has already bled me several times this year already.

Wildmana

Nov 3, 2000
I found if you go into the bios and disable all the extra's such as onboard sound,lan,usb, etc. and whatever your mobo has, 98 will install ok, the go back and enable each one and get it set up and then the next....

98 does not have drivers for all the new stuff and if its enabled(extras) on install sometimes it will skip over and sometimes it will just crash or install corrupted.....

thats my 2 cents worth....

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
ive used win98 on many new socketA motherboards

all of the via based boards work fine (but dont use the newest 4in1 drivers.. via recommends you use version 4.35)

nforce boards seem to have quite a few problems with win98

a board that should work great for you
biostar m7vig (via km266) has both ddr and sdr ram slots, and supports up to xp2600+ it has onboard video, but it also has an agp slot (so if you need something better then onboard video you can just install any agp vid card and it will disable the onboard stuff) and the cost is less then $60 at newegg :)

ive probably built over 200 systems using the m7vig or m7vig pro.. they are very nice and stable, and they run win98 without problem

KF

Golden Member
Dec 3, 1999
I really don't think newer mobos freak out on W98. They are about the same as older mobos as far as W98 is concerned. Installing the nForce2 drivers for nForce2 motherboards may be tricky. Besides what others have replied, people recommend avoiding the the Nvidias setup program, extracting the Nvidia driver files, and installing the drivers individually.

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: KF
I really don't think newer mobos freak out on W98. They are about the same as older mobos as far as W98 is concerned. Installing the nForce2 drivers for nForce2 motherboards may be tricky. Besides what others have replied, people recommend avoiding the the Nvidias setup program, extracting the Nvidia driver files, and installing the drivers individually.
That's what I do with my ol' A7N266-VM (dual-boots Win98 and Win2000, as well as an 180-day trial version of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition :Q:D). If you simply use WinZip etc to extract the contents of the driver installer, then install the drivers by going to Device Manager and installing them on each item that needs them, you would be ok.

Interestingly, I did try booting from my (genuine) Win98SE CD on my nForce2 board (A7N8X-Deluxe) and it was having problems, so there might be some truth to that, at least in some cases :p However, the A7N266-VM seems to be doing well and it takes up to a 2400+, so it could be a good budget option (nice onboard audio with optical and RCA S/PDIF's, onboard LAN, onboard GF2MX video, 3-year warranty, passive cooling).

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
FWIW. I recently installed Win ME on a m7vig pro and didn't have any problems.

By my standards, it's a crappy system but for the nubee who owns it it's the cats meow. :)